New shocks and diffy cover, take a look. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New shocks and diffy cover, take a look.

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
I have a question. Do I have to tighten the load studs or can i leave them loose? I dont have a torque wrench anymore and I dont put alot of stress or the rear.

Attachments

• 000_0026.jpg
    000_0026.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 360

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not really sure on the cover but damn man that's the cleanest 1st gen undercarrage i've ever seen! Mind me asking what you've done or just tips? I'm going to be doing mine pretty soon ;)

Man is that ever clean! Looks awsome! ... perhaps throw some of that nice black paint on your brake drums :p

If you need a torque wrench let me know. I'm not too far from you and could bring it over if needed.

CodePoet said:
Not really sure on the cover but damn man that's the cleanest 1st gen undercarrage i've ever seen! Mind me asking what you've done or just tips?
Redrig is a webwheeler... :p

I do the same thing. When I touch up my sliders or bumpers, I just get underneath and spray away.

Yeah i find i get carried away when i have a nice new can of black spray paint in my hand...

I know that rig doesn't get wheeled much but i hate working on rusty, dirty parts! I know wrong sport LOL.

yeah that does look good..what kinda labor comes with changing the diff cover?..i kno its just a couple bolts, but that exposes your gears and everything right?..is this a good time to change the gear oil?

call me a newb..whatever..im here to learn

ill get some pix up or something later, but i got some black enamel rust protectant, and when i did my add a leaf and my shackles i went ahead and replaced the shcoks with some ranchos as well..i yanked the shcok mounts and painted those with the rust stop and then a gloss black..same with the leaf packs (after the add a leaf was put in it)..and then i re-bushed the rear suspension components with red polys and threw on those ranchos with the redboot and the red writing..it looks great..last thingi oculd use is maybe a nice diffy cover..hense the reply..thanks a lot

chris

Its real simple. Just loosin the bolts a little at first, break the seal and let the oil drain out. Remove the cover completely the take some lint free cloths or paper towels and soak all the oil left inside. The gears will not fall out or anything. install new gasket and cover and refill with new oil. Id recommend using new oil and not the old.

make sure you take the damn fill plug bolt off first...i made that mistake and it almost ruined my trip to badlands.

Alright now im curious. What do you mean? Maybe I screwed up to.

yeah wuttya meen take the fill plug off first? before you open up the diff?..i assume the fill plug is some where around the top of the differential? and that is where you would refill the diff after bolting up the new diff cover?

Redrig doesnt need to worry about it, as his new cover has a fill plug on the diff cover. However us, with stock covers dont have this luxury. Instead the geniouses at ford put the diff fill plug near the pinion on the drivers side...and guess what the gas tnak is near it so its hard to get a decent tool in there. Mine was basically frozen soldi in the hole, some heat got it out though.

ok well if i did all this i would prprobably get a new diffy cover...so it will have a new fill plug on it..so dont worry about it..

i think you were syaing make sure you can get that off first..so that when you drain it..you know you can refill it..right?

getting back to the orig post, if you do not have a tq wrench.
Coat the girdle studs with teflon pipe dope,screw them in finger tight and tighten the locking nuts.Mine have never leaked.

spindlecone said:
getting back to the orig post, if you do not have a tq wrench.
Coat the girdle studs with teflon pipe dope,screw them in finger tight and tighten the locking nuts.Mine have never leaked.

Ill just leave them finger tight then. Thanks.

what are the torque specs on the diffy cover bolts?

i torque to 30 in three steps but then again i an ART.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back