Reaction score
City, State
seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford explr sport 2dr
Callsign
Joe
Hey guys,
I recently bought tires for my 2000 explorer sport 4.0L SOHC 4wd with 171,000 miles. I put on the wrangler trail runners 255/70R/16. The guys at goodyear wanted me to replace my shocks too but quoted me at $600+. They said the shock absorbers were leaking.

I was curious what shocks are recommended for my specific explorer and how easy it is to install myself. I have all the basic tools.

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put on Monroe Sensatracs from what I had read on the forum. Nice ride. I picked them up for less than $150 from Amazon. Had my local install front and rear for less than $200 so I can't speak to install.

KYB Gas-A-Justs are worth looking into. I installed them in my driveway with a socket set, wrenches, torque wrench, and a dead-blow hammer. I can't remember if I took the wheel and tire off, so might have used a jack and pair of jack stands also.

I paid $138.13 total for all four delivered off eBay.

Explorers are well known for the rear leafs sagging or drivers side lean. If you're another victim, the Monroe 58617 spring assisted load adjust rear shocks may be worth considering. Most that installed them say the 58617's improved those issues dramatically, and also lifted the rear from 1/2" to 1". Ride quality is reported to be somewhat firmer. A 13mm flex head ratcheting wrench is highly recommended to access the drivers rear upper shock nuts. Do a search, many threads.

Yeap the Monroe 58617 are the Sensatracs. Lifted my saggy rear nicely. Quality shocks are less than $200 and $400 for install in too much.

If your not at DIY type find a local shop that will let you bring your own shocks in. Even in overpriced California I had it done for under $200.

Thanks for the help,
I think I am gonna install myself
What front shocks are good if I go with the Monroe 58617?

Buy the front/rear Sensatrac set. Amazon can't be beat if your a prime member.

If your shocks are orriginal this will be money well spent you will notice the difference in ride quality and the shocks will help extend the life of your tires/suspension. Goodyear was right to reccomend replacement and you were right to come here for advice before getting robbed.

$600+ is beyond outrageous for four shocks installed. As mentioned, people here seem to migrate to either KYB's or Monroe's. I went rogue and tried some lesser known Gabriel Max Controls after reading many, many reviews on all three. Hard to tell exactly what the shocks brought to the party as far as much improved ride as I also rebuilt my suspension and put new Michelins on at the same time. I'm more than happy with how it all came together for a smoother ride.

KYB Gas-A-Justs are worth looking into. I installed them in my driveway with a socket set, wrenches, torque wrench, and a dead-blow hammer. I can't remember if I took the wheel and tire off, so might have used a jack and pair of jack stands also.

I paid $138.13 total for all four delivered off eBay.

Have you truely needed to adjust them though out of a performance standard?

Have you truely needed to adjust them though out of a performance standard?

That's just their name. No adjustment knobs, screws, dials, etc...

Sample pic:

d-18655-1246.jpg

This is a separate question, I am looking to buy a jack for my car as well. Is there a special kind of car jack i need or will any 1.5 ton scissor jack suffice.

thanks!

As the explorer is already a bit high you will want a jack that can go to at least 19-20 inch. My first one was an $80 1.5 ton harbor freight but it only went to 14 inch. Couldn't even get the tires off the ground. I replaced it with another 1.5 ton that went to 20 inch.

I recently bought tires for my 2000 explorer sport 4.0L SOHC 4wd with 171,000 miles. I put on the wrangler trail runners 255/70R/16.

I was curious what shocks are recommended for my specific explorer and how easy it is to install myself. I have all the basic tools.

What front shocks are good if I go with the Monroe 58617?
Unless you bought the all terrain TrailRunner's for pure aesthetics, you probably have the intention of light off roading. While standard SensaTracs (now OE Spectrum) are popular, they are known for a comfortable, but soft cushy ride. 58617 SensaTrac name is a bit misleading since they are spring assisted and tend to be somewhat firm, especially without a load. Ideally you want the front and rear valving somewhat similar, and since Monroe has long discontinued the Reflex line, they have nothing that really matches the 58617. I believe a good combination would be the Rancho RS5000 Series. You don't have vehicle specs listed, so RWD or 4WD isn't known, and the front shock specs may be different between them. If you plan on lifting the front with a torsion twist, consider the RS5374 designed and valved for lifts up to 2.5". I linked Rancho shock info and an RS5374 review. Incidentally, Monroe and Rancho are both owned by Tenneco, and share the same R&D. Feel free to ask questions, lot's of great advice on EF.

4WD
http://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers?find=2000-ford-explorer-4wd-682369
RWD
http://www.gorancho.com/products/shock-absorbers?find=2000-ford-explorer-rwd-683287

Rancho RS5374 Front Shock Review | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

One small favor please? LOL
Add Complete Vehicle Specs To Your Profile | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

I updated the vehicle specs to the best of my knowledge. I do plan on doing light off roading with the car and dont plan on doing any towing. Ideally I would buy shocks I can install myself with the use of just one tire jack and some wrenches. My explorer doesn't have the fatal rear end sag yet.

thanks for all your help!

A pair of floor stands is highly recommended and will be used often. If you look at your lower control arms there are forward facing hooks that are perfect for the stands. Do NOT use cinder blocks whatever you do, known to explode without warning. As mentioned in post #4, a 13mm swivel head ratchet wrench makes changing the rear driver shock MUCH easier. Fortunately for you, this seems like the time of year to buy if you need tools. Not a fan of Sears, but once in a while they have great deals.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-to...gclid=CLb4_InZzNACFUWRfgodyJAAnQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-7-p...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

Back