Aftermarket Wheels | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket Wheels

i mean.... top view, straight down, you can see the top of the tire. not legal, doesn't look good, and with the offset skewed that far to the outside (enough to increase the suspension clearance even with a wider tire) you are likely to end up with a positive scrub radius, which isn't going to do you any favors, handling wise, on uneven surfaces.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i mean.... top view, straight down, you can see the top of the tire. not legal, doesn't look good, and with the offset skewed that far to the outside (enough to increase the suspension clearance even with a wider tire) you are likely to end up with a positive scrub radius, which isn't going to do you any favors, handling wise, on uneven surfaces.
I completely disagree but that’s the beauty of car builds everyone can build them exactly how they like them. And I live in Minnesota everything is technically legal MY F150 sits on 12.5 wides with a -40 offset. Understanding how suspension works once the car is dropped about an inch and a half and a proper alignment is done the tires will sit flush with the fenders. And moving the tires flush with fenders adding 20mm of rubber to a track spec’d SUV increased handling not the opposite. But constructive criticism is always welcomed :)

Past builds (Shelby and F150 still in the garage)working with wheels and fitment for a long time so I know exactly where I want this one to end up with the big picture in mind.
1851D080-E10F-4FDD-9106-B8F2C47B4B3A.jpeg
09CBD793-5C93-46A8-9F09-B506AA9AC115.jpeg
4208F384-0452-40F1-86E4-34EC481B384C.jpeg
14D371E5-D83E-4652-AF31-775578666023.png
BC10E08C-117E-4996-BE4F-FAFD49B49D97.jpeg
65EF742C-3804-4019-97A6-D3A19B30E4DD.jpeg
3C8E1DE8-A55D-4FC2-9627-D94030C6ED17.jpeg
7A02BA9A-8E0D-49EB-A222-0FA9627D1E9E.jpeg
1F2B232D-4F48-49A1-8685-9EE96955CAAD.jpeg

Past builds (Shelby and F150 still in the garage)working with wheels and fitment for a long time so I know exactly where I want this one to end up with the big picture in mind.
View attachment 177220 View attachment 177221 View attachment 177222 View attachment 177223 View attachment 177224 View attachment 177225 View attachment 177226 View attachment 177227 View attachment 177228

I'm usually not a fan of aftermarket rims. I'm very picky but have to say all of these look fantastic on the vehicle. I am not a fan of the ones on your ST, I think it is just the style of the rim but props to you on the others!!

Looking at it, maybe it is the shadowing but it looks like the rims are pushed in (spokes) too much and the rubber is too wide for the rim.

Beautiful vehicles none the less!!

Ha Ha!! Explain that to the lifted truck guys. Or the little crap boxes that have the small donuts sticking out.

Past builds (Shelby and F150 still in the garage) working with wheels and fitment for a long time so I know exactly where I want this one to end up with the big picture in mind.
I'm usually not a fan of aftermarket rims. I'm very picky but have to say all of these look fantastic on the vehicle. I am not a fan of the ones on your ST, I think it is just the style of the rim but props to you on the others!!

Looking at it, maybe it is the shadowing but it looks like the rims are pushed in (spokes) too much and the rubber is too wide for the rim.

Beautiful vehicles none the less!!
Thanks man I’ve put some serious time sweat and a lot of money into the builds.

I’m far from done and these aren’t my favorite or final set of wheels. Will have project6gr do a custom forged set but I needed to test the limits as far as size offset backspace etc and tires before having a set forged. Same I did with all the builds.

I like about 1-1.5 inches more tire than wheel just a personal preference on how they feel and handle.

end goal will be much more power with some E85 tuning new pumps then some turbo upgrades along with down pipes and exhaust with probably some bottom end work with the rotating assembly or have a block delivered to my buddy who does top notch builds and just have him build me out a drop in block. Half shafts beefed up trans from calimer - probably a 10r80 swap. Suspension components after they become available But I like to do all the supporting mods beforehand so that the power is reliable and enjoyable. And I usually wait till after 10k miles so if there is any grievous manufacturers defects internally they usually show up by then as I push them hard while under warranty just for that reason.

Just blew the stimulus check

Made the mistake of getting on Discount Tires website moments ago. Gotta love the "see it on your vehicle" feature. TSW Nurburgring Mirror Machined face w/dark gray barrels. These should look killer against the agate black.

Attachments

• mirror-cut-face_machined-spokes_20_zoom.png
    mirror-cut-face_machined-spokes_20_zoom.png
    359.9 KB · Views: 98

I just put on these wheels, so here is the spec I went with:
Milanni 475 Clutch 22x9 5x4.5" +38mm 73.1 hub Gunmetal Wheels
Lugs are M14x1.5 (which is bigger that previous years 1/2") I had the dealer install their splined lugs $70.00
TPMS Tire Pressure Sensor are 315MHz
Fit and clearance was perfect with Toyo Proxes 4 285/30R22 (Probably could of went to 305/30r22's)

Pete

BRAND:Milanni
STYLE:475 Clutch
SIZE:22x9
BOLT PATTERN:5x114.3 (5x4.5")
OFFSET:+38mm
HUB BORE:73.1
BACKSPACING:6.5"
FINISH:Gunmetal
CONDITION:Brand New
QUANTITY:4 Wheels
PART NUMBER:475-22965GM38

1585749316513.png

Decided the gangster wheels had to go. Gave me the excuse to spend my stimulus check ............ ;)
TSW Nurburgring w/ polished machine facings. The barrel is soft gray as are the flats of the tuning forks. Bought them at Discount Tire. Ordered them last thursday, they came in this morning. No fitment or balancing issues. Getting positive comments from strangers when I've stopped for gas, the grocery, etc.
IMG_20200407_195008.jpg

IMG_20200407_195021_MP.jpg

Looking good.

Ya need to quit mudding though!

Yeah, it would be nice if it would dry up out here. I actually washed the ST this afternoon. Then I made the mistake of driving on my kids private road to show him the wheels. (crys)

Decided the gangster wheels had to go. Gave me the excuse to spend my stimulus check ............ ;)
TSW Nurburgring w/ polished machine facings. The barrel is soft gray as are the flats of the tuning forks. Bought them at Discount Tire. Ordered them last thursday, they came in this morning. No fitment or balancing issues. Getting positive comments from strangers when I've stopped for gas, the grocery, etc.
View attachment 180083
View attachment 180084
Nice set of wheels ... enhances the brake caliper.

Yup. It really makes them stand out. The sun was going down when I took the pictures a shot time ago. That's why the lighting is flat.

What're the specs on the wheels?

They are on TSW's website. I would suggest emailing them. I would not want to miss quote them. They are also sold in solid battleship gray. TSW has several Explorer compatible wheels on their website.

Refreshing to see different options for a change! Nice rides!
Just by chance do any of you guys know if the 5th gen wheel with fit on the 6 gens? I believe the bolt patterns are the same but I wasn't sure if backspace/offset would interfear with the new platform?

Welcome to the Forum Bryn. :wave:
Check out this post; Winter tires
2011-2019 has a 63.3 hub. 2020 has a 70.5, probably could use a hub centric ring. Stud sizes are different as well.

Peter

Refreshing to see different options for a change! Nice rides!
Just by chance do any of you guys know if the 5th gen wheel with fit on the 6 gens? I believe the bolt patterns are the same but I wasn't sure if backspace/offset would interfear with the new platform?

Here ya go, according to www.wheel-size.com. Looks pretty similar as far as the stock 20" wheels go, offset difference is negligible. Center Bore is quite different so center bore adapters would have to be purchased if using wheels that came from a 2020 to 2015, but probably won't work if going from 2015 to 2020 (if using the stock wheels). Many aftermarket wheels have large center bores and provide adapters that are vehicle specific or sized upon request.

2020 Explorer:
2020X.jpg

2015 Explorer:

2015X.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here ya go, according to www.wheel-size.com. Looks pretty similar as far as the stock 20" wheels go, offset difference is negligible. Center Bore is quite different so center bore adapters would have to be purchased if using wheels that came from a 2020 to 2015, but probably won't work if going from 2015 to 2020 (if using the stock wheels). Many aftermarket wheels have large center bores and provide adapters that are vehicle specific or sized upon request.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I was wondering if my 22x10.5 would fit on a 2020 but I ended up selling my 15' with everything "as is" last week and took delivery of my Black 20' ST Saturday. So it looks like I'm starting from scratch again!

Back