new skid plate

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
I decided to install a skid plate up front and make a few changes to the bumper...

for starters.. no more lights for now. second i repainted and took off the side supports.. and installed my skid plate i've had since i made the bumper and never put it on. sprayed it all gloss black..

here is a couple pics..

Attachments

• IMG_0055_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0055_640x480.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0056_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0056_640x480.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0057_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0057_640x480.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0058_640x480.jpg
    IMG_0058_640x480.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 527

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

better pics

It's gonna rain soon so there isn't alot of light to out i'll take some better ones later..

i really really need to make up my mind on what i want ot do with my truck.. i know i need an alignment but i just cranked the tt up a bit to fit 35's (without rub its sweet) now i just need to buy some..

wow, that skid plate is sick! I'm thinking of doing something similar to my '93 explorer, you think you could give me some measurements of that? was it tough to make?

well with a plasma cutter no. and a 7 foot break easier :) having access to the proper tools helps... its 41" wide at the front ot match my cusotm bumper with a 1 inch bend at the front and 28 inches long to a 16.5 wide base witha 1 inch bend in it.

i cut a sqaure then marked center.
measured the small end off of center
measured one inch on both ends
drew tapered lines to the one inch marks
cut it
drew my out line on the floor of the floor end to give me a ruff est of the angles
used the break and four guys and a torch
1/4 inch pliot bit and a unibit to drive holes
which i need a couple more of since i only had 4 bolts laying a around..
painted and took pictures

where did you get those Dakota tires? I had a set of 33's on black steel rims, they were so bad I just gave them away...nobody would buy them. I bought them when they were $90 a piece. Now I think they are going for $150 or something. You can get KO's for that price.

Anyway, nice skidder. Those pre runner fenders look nice too.

Matt

nice zhanx, i will prob attempt to make my skid plate next week, ill put pics on my car domain n show you how it looks

2001ExpSport said:
where did you get those Dakota tires? I had a set of 33's on black steel rims, they were so bad I just gave them away...nobody would buy them. I bought them when they were $90 a piece. Now I think they are going for $150 or something. You can get KO's for that price.

Anyway, nice skidder. Those pre runner fenders look nice too.

Matt

i got them 5- mount and balanced for 562 out the door at pep boys.. work good offroad in my area.. all sand and rocks

Back