• Register Today It's free!

New Snorkel Idea

Klutch

Reaction score
City, State
Shohola Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hey ive been thinking for a while about putting a snorkel on my truck, but i dont like the way they look on the side of the truck. So ive been thinking about running the snorkel to the inside of my truck by going in between the inner fender and the outer fender of the passenger side and drilling a hole so the snorkel is behind the passenger side air vent. Id like to know if anyone has tryed this or if you guys even think it would work? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few people i have seen (not in explorers) that run a setup like you described. Its great for a loud big healthy v8 in which you cant hear anyways but in the explorer (i figure you drive daily) would just be too much air noise inside the cab.

well i havent thought it though all the way. I just thought of it last night but thanks for the tip.

in cab air filter is a great snorkle setup if you can handle LOTS of engine noise
You need a way to switch from external to internal air with this setup

You can also go to the cowl for fresh air and keep it outside the cabin

there is not alot of room on your firewall behind the dash for a large 3-4" hole, it would require alot of re-working of your behind dash components.

check out Rookieshooters BII on this forum, he has a real nice cowl induction setup (actually from the fresh air cowl where the wipers are) Not alot of water gets up there, unless you are really deep.

I have never seen the need for a snorkel on my BII, my filter is right below hood height above the pass front tire... If I wanted to go deep water forging up to my headlights I would need to do alot more work to my truck then just add a snorkel.... lots of waterproofing and electronics would need to be relocated

Ok thanks for the info im just trying to make my X able to follow my Brothers Cherokee through the trails

soon he will be following you :)

I just want to prove to all my wheeling friends that my X can go anywhere there Jeeps can go

Thanks for the link thats almost exact what i want to do

i have had my snorkel turned so the opening is facing backwards with the window down and it sounds like a train comming right at you when you get on the gas....i cant imagne what it would sound like inside like you are talking...i can see it maybe on a trail only rig, but if you plan on driving it alot..i would look at another design...

the whole reason I didnt finish my snorkle is i'm not to fond of cutting a 3 inch hole in my fender. I am gonna try this on my 98.

im going to try to copy the link of the ford ranger that RangerX put on. Thanks again

the whole reason I didnt finish my snorkle is i'm not to fond of cutting a 3 inch hole in my fender. I am gonna try this on my 98.[/QUOTE

:popcorn:
keep us posted...
i would like to do this after my obx trip

the whole reason I didnt finish my snorkle is i'm not to fond of cutting a 3 inch hole in my fender. I am gonna try this on my 98.[/QUOTE

:popcorn:
keep us posted...
i would like to do this after my obx trip

Will do. I am gonna try like hell to get it done this week. Rausch Creek is this weekend!:D

Yea im home for the summer so im going to see what i can do with it soon too

Now you can use the dryer vent duct but you have grind all the sharp edges and make sure there are no intrusions.I would think that if you use 2" or 3" cpvc or pvc it would be more stable not to metion the clamps are easy to get and manipulate.Oh and there aer fitting's for the bends that need. you just need to check the thoat radius...

410fortune your filter is in the same place as our's,if you didnt remove the breather duct from the box, then your air intake connects right behind your passenger headlight and is a foot lower than you think.but you did a motor swap so did you move it?

In my opinion the hardest part of installing a snorkel is cutting the 3 1/2" hole in a nice clean fender......
DSC00025.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

finished product.......
DSC00035.jpg

410fortune your filter is in the same place as our's,if you didnt remove the breather duct from the box, then your air intake connects right behind your passenger headlight and is a foot lower than you think.but you did a motor swap so did you move it?

Have not had a factory airbox or duct work in the BII in like 12 years...I have a KKM open element under my hood above the passenger side tire, fed with a 4" duct from my radiator support and protected with ABS plastic shields from getting wet.
So far so good! even in deep mud, but I dont make a habit of going in water above my rocker panels.. ...

2893front1.jpg

You can see the 3-4" hole in my radiator support (stainless steel in sink disposal ring) that has a duct that feeds up to my air filter but still no airbox...

oh ok well that iis an ingenius idea, i like that set up.Still have a breather hole but no duct to link if the were a water mishaps...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would be quite a sound from inside of the cabin.

here is an idea, why don't you modify your fender to make it quickly release itself. This way, before you go off roading, take your fender off and plug in the snorkel. Likewise when you get home, for daily driving take the snorkel off and put the fender back on. This was you would not have to cut into the fender. The only con is that you would not have a fender while off roading. But at least you wouldnt have to worry about any fender benders while off roading, at least on one side that is.

All you have to figure out is how to make your fender quickly snap on and off for such a purpose as described above.

Back