New spark plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New spark plugs?

j73m6

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT V8
I am going to replace the Autolite spark plugs in my 2007 V8 Explorer with Motorcraft SP514's.

Is there a recommended torque that the plugs should be tightened to?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory manual says 25 lb ft of torque.

Are you aware that the lower part of the plug may have a carbon buildup and needs care in removal to avoid plug separation? There is a TSB procedure available to help.

This is not your typical spark plug.

Hi Town, thanks!
Yeah, I've read on this forum of horror stories regarding the removal of old plugs.

I must be lucky, because I actually changed all 8 on my Explorer about 2 years ago, and they all came out fine. I replaced the factory plugs with Autolite HT's, do you think I should still be worried about separation?

Would you know where to download a copy of the manual that you referred to? I'd like to have one for future reference..

Thanks!

Hi Town, thanks!
Yeah, I've read on this forum of horror stories regarding the removal of old plugs.

I must be lucky, because I actually changed all 8 on my Explorer about 2 years ago, and they all came out fine. I replaced the factory plugs with Autolite HT's, do you think I should still be worried about separation?

Would you know where to download a copy of the manual that you referred to? I'd like to have one for future reference..

Thanks!

I replaced the plugs on my son's 2007 EB V8 and it had 96,000 miles and was easy. The TSB posted by swshawaii gives the info based upon a carbon problem. I loosened the plugs and turned 1/8 turn so easily I kept going to 1/4 turn on all 8 plugs. I was going to put the carbon disolver from Ford down into the plug well but my son said to go for it without. So I did. I did turn in and out a bit but there was no resistance so I just took them all out without any breaking. The carbon was soft and dusty. My son wanted no part of the two piece plugs so we went with Champions as replacements.

I very much doubt that you will have trouble taking them out after 2 years.

I have the Ford Workshop manual, you can find them on e-bay.

Good luck.

With all this talk about the V8 spark plugs breaking, I just want to check is there anything difficult about plug change on the 4.0 V6? are these one piece plugs? Do they have the carbon build up problem? Thank you, Ill be doing mine for first time this month at 65,000 miles.

I haven't heard of any issues with V6 plug change.

With all this talk about the V8 spark plugs breaking, I just want to check is there anything difficult about plug change on the 4.0 V6? are these one piece plugs? Do they have the carbon build up problem? Thank you, Ill be doing mine for first time this month at 65,000 miles.

The Motorcraft spark plug for your V6 is the SP412 which is a nickel alloy plug. It is a one piece design. Here is what it looks like: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=949945

Here is what an Autolite spark plug for the V8 looks like: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=538559

You should not have any problems replacing your spark plugs. The nickel alloy plug is very good and long lasting. I changed my SP413 spark plugs in my car's 4.6 liter V8 2v engine at 45,000 miles and they were hardly worn at all.

Good luck.

No problems at all, but they come out easier if the engine is cold. Also, the factory plug for 06 was a double platinum but the motorcraft replacement got changed to a nickel alloy a few years ago.

Thanks everyone. Its gonna be an expensive month. All 4 original tires and all brakes are also getting replaced this weekend or next.

Back