New speakers for my 06 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New speakers for my 06

i wired it into the wiring harness for the head unit. run speaker wire from the amp up behind the dash and hook it up as if those were the wires coming out of the head unit.

did you get the speakers in yet? what troubles are you having?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drilled a hole through the firewall, but it's too small and I can't fit a bigger bit in the drill so I have to go out and get a drill bit with a smaller base where it goes into the drill.

Are you saying you used the stock speaker wire up to the harness along with new speaker wire from the amp to the wiring harness? I don't have the speakers in yet because I thought I was going to use new speaker wire all the way through, but that seems a little challenging to get it through the boot that goes from the door to the body.

yea, i just used the stock wire. i plan to run full wires some time but i dont care to do it right now. you can tape the new wire to the old wire and use the old wire to pull it through those rubber boots. well....maybe, all the wires might be taped together in the door. it might be easier to use a coat hanger or something.

I like your idea, although I did want to use totally new wire...but it's going to be a real pain to get it through if I decide to do it. So now the only things I have to do are: mount the speakers and wire them, get the amp power cable through the firewall, and then connect up everything...so I didn't get much done yesterday. :(

yea i really wanted to as well but found it to be too much work so i gave up. i'm going to do it at some point but at the time i was in a hurry to get the system up and running so i did not have the patience. i meant to say...you could hook up the speaker wires from the deck to the harness to have your radio for the next few days.

Well, I'm not going to put in all new wire as it's virtually impossible. I got the hole drilled for the amp power cable and the wire can go through, but I lost the grommet that came with it. The speakers almost didn't fit because of the screw pattern on the door being just slightly larger than what the speakers had, but I got one in so far. I'm also having trouble getting the wires back to the amp, I want to put it behind the back seat, but it's a challenge to cleanly wire it up. This is such a PITA, and I'm starting to regret it, but hopefully I'm happy with it once I somehow get done with it.

it will be worth it. my speakers also didnt fit that great. i only have 2 screws holding each in. its definitly anoying trying to get everything perfect. just keep your anxiety in check and enjoy the work you get to do on your car and things will seem alot better.

if all you want is the end result and the work is agony you wont do as good a job and it will seem to take forever. trust me man i know how you feel. i still get anxious when i do this stuff but slowing myself down a bit and taking my time actually seems to save me time in the long run and i end up being alot happier with my results. when i do things too hastily i may have got the job done super fast but alot of times i wont be happy with it and will end up redoing all the work to make it right, so all in all it would take even longer to get it how i wanted it.

post pics of the install :)

I will...I think I am going to remove the back seat so I can make a ground and also to have cleaner wiring. I got everything in and hooked up, though, so I just need to ground the amp and tidy it all up.

if you can make a video and post it on youtube, i would like to hear it!

I got it done! It works! It sounds so good! :D I'm so glad that every speaker works and it sounds great.

if you can make a video and post it on youtube, i would like to hear it!

I'll get a video of it tomorrow!

Here are some pics and the video is currently uploading, sorry it took so long...

My Explorer:

P1000362.jpg

Working with the back seats removed:

P1000365.jpg

A nice stain the previous owner left me:

P1000366.jpg

Head Unit:

P1000364.jpg

P1000363.jpg

Amp hooked up, but not mounted:

P1000367.jpg

And that's it...

dude, that deck even matches your gauges. thats pretty sweet. looks good to me man.

you have a nice x. my next one is going to be like that. i like the red ones with the iron man package.

Thanks man! I think it looks pretty good, too. And I also love the Iron Man edition Explorers! The black grille, the wheels, and the colors that they come in make it look so good. :D

the only thing is im probably not going to buy a new one for atleast 2 more years. and by then there will be a few used f150 raptors running around and i might need one of those......if you dont know what that is youtube it. OMFG!

yup yup. i need one.

an explorer raptor would be tight, but......the 2011 explorer is apparently going to be a unibody design. definitly going backwards when it comes to offroad performance. totally retarded, not sure why ford would do that. the explorer is their only offroad capable suv. no one is going to lift a unibody truck and try to wheel it. first time you torque that "Frame" the whole truck is scrap metal. super NOT cool.

the stereo sounds nice. i watched that vid of you running around in that buggy too. i have see people put sport bike engines in those things and they get stupid fast. i want to build a gokart with a 1000cc engine. mini formula 1

an explorer raptor would be tight, but......the 2011 explorer is apparently going to be a unibody design. definitly going backwards when it comes to offroad performance. totally retarded, not sure why ford would do that. the explorer is their only offroad capable suv. no one is going to lift a unibody truck and try to wheel it. first time you torque that "Frame" the whole truck is scrap metal. super NOT cool.

the stereo sounds nice. i watched that vid of you running around in that buggy too. i have see people put sport bike engines in those things and they get stupid fast. i want to build a gokart with a 1000cc engine. mini formula 1

I know what you mean about the new Explorer, I made a post in the 2011 Explorer thread establishing how I feel about it. :D

The buggy is a lot of fun! It does lack power big time stock, but I've got some necessary mods which give it much better torque and power, though it could still use plenty more power. These buggies look cheap, and they are, but when you drive one you forget about the poorly designed suspension and limited power. :D It's pretty reliable, too, even though it's made in China. And I replaced the rear shocks with some from an Arctic Cat 300, and the front with some American made Honda 250 shocks, so the ride isn't too bad. I wish there were more options to choose from on the buggies, but the only mass produced American ones are just now coming out and they still have engines made in China. It's all good fun, though. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would just build one myself. i was on the mini baja team at osu for a while, mini baja is competitive racing with custom built buggies kinda like yours. limited to a 10hp brigs engine tho. pretty fun. its really not so hard to build one yourself, then you can put whatever engine you want in it. motorcycle engines are great bc they dont produce alot of torque so you dont have to beef up the frame too much, just run lower gears. i know what you mean tho, those things are tons of fun. my only off road toy right now is an 85 honda big red 3 wheeler. its not very fast but its a pretty rare item and its alot of fun. one of my friends about killed himself on it last summer......its not safe. but for me quads are too easy so the 3 wheeler provides enough challenge to keep things fun and exciting. next up is a nice dirt bike. im thinkin ktm 525

Back