new speedo calibration: correct for 10mph offset? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new speedo calibration: correct for 10mph offset?

BeemerBiker

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4.0
I replaced the nylon gear that turns the speedometer needle. I got the $2.00 part on ebay and pushed it onto the shaft that turns the needle and re-assembled the cluster. It was a lot cheaper than the $200 the junk year wanted for a working cluster.

I had no idea how to set the needle to "10 mph" at rest, and when I re-assembled it, I noticed it showed me going 10mph when I wasnt moving, I disassembled the cluster, pulled the gear and pushed it back on at a different angle, Now it it exactly 10mph too slow. This is not a cable gear problem as I didnt change tire size. It is a real PITA to remove the cluster and disassemble the speedometer dial to make the correction, then re-assemble for testing. Surely there is a way to set the zero point (10 mph minimum) and avoid trial and error.

I had the same problem a while ago. IIRC I took the clear cover off the cluster while it was still installed in the dash. You have to remove the bezel but not the whole cluster. I just pulled the speedometer needle off and set it to 10mph. That way I could drive it to make sure it was ok or adjust it if need be. We have one of those "your speed" radar signs in our area that I used to get it right.

trial and error, since the needle is counter weight when removed, will drop, you have to play with it till its about right.

I bought a working cluster from car-part.com for about $30.

Back