New Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Sport Trac

Playing in the snow.

Jon4.jpg

Taken at the Ranger Club's winter run. I need more tire and lift before I go off-roading. Only 300 miles on it and I tweaked the torsion bar crossmember going over the RR crossing into the off-road park. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet pic!

Nice, wellcome, gotta lose those roof rails tho:)

Nice pic :)

Hi Johnny,
Yep thats a nice ride. I saw pics from wellsville of it too. They don't have a solid rear axle anymore do they? How did it do in the snow and ice? I know there is not enough ground clearance for off-road.

Brian_B

nice Sport Trac Johnny

dman726749 said:
trs's snowball run at wellsvill?
Yes. I only live about 25 miles away over the border in PA.

Pics and recap

Brian_B said:
They don't have a solid rear axle anymore do they? How did it do in the snow and ice?
I think '05 is the last year for a solid axle in the ST, next year they're going to the IRS Explorer chassis. Mine goes pretty good so far but it has a limited-slip too. I'm not dropping two grand on a Superlift for a vehicle I lease but I think I'll get shackles and a torsion twist with 265's. Ground clearance isn't real bad but the long wheelbase hurts. I'll just be careful where I go. I didn't wheel it over the weekend, I rode some with Ryan and switched with Will and drove his BII for a while.

JohnnyO said:
Yes. I only live about 25 miles away over the border in PA.

Pics and recap

I'm not dropping two grand on a Superlift for a vehicle I lease but I think I'll get shackles and a torsion twist with 265's.

I really like that truck. I ended up with a regular explorer since I have the ranger still for hauling.

A few odd questions. You need to lift it to get 265s to fit? Exactly what size tires did it come with? My 01 came factory with 255/70/16s (30.1X10.0X16) 265s can't be much bigger.

Just curious. I have not been around the sport tracs.

Later,
Brian_B

Brian_B said:
You need to lift it to get 265s to fit? Exactly what size tires did it come with?
I'm not sure but I think I would have to lift it a little. Plenty of room in the rear but the front is suspect (to me anyway). I purposely got a base XLT with puny 235/70-16 tires so I could get the 3.73 axles and hopefully a little better mpg than my 4.10-geared Ranger. The Premium Package gets you the bigger 255/70's, 4.10's, and step bars...and I have ground clearance issues already, plus the step bars on my Ranger were mostly good just for getting my pants dirty in the winter. I'm thinking the softer shocks (compared to my Ranger) may have something to do with bashing the crossmember too. I want 265/75-16's.

Back