• Register Today It's free!

New Sport with trans leak

MIKE80

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XSport
So I put my 2015 Sport up on my kwiklift today and took a good look around. I bought it less than 2 weeks ago and have just over 800 miles on it. While underneath I found a slow trans fluid leak which looks like it is coming from a sensor just above the right front axle on the trans. My guess is that the sensor is not tightened properly or needs some thread seal.

Also, I have noticed the sweet smell of coolant after parking a couple of times, so I also took a real good look around for a coolant leak, but did not find any, so not sure if it's just some coolant burning from assembly.

I have an appointment set up for this Thursday at the dealer for the leak, an air bubble in the aluminum trim on the right front passenger door, and to make sure there isn't any coolant leaks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Power Transfer Unit seal?

Power Transfer Unit seal?

It's wet right around the sensor above the axle, and trailing down around the axle area to the bottom of the case. I guess I'll find out from the dealer in a few days though.

...I have an appointment set up for this Thursday at the dealer for the leak, an air bubble in the aluminum trim on the right front passenger door, and to make sure there isn't any coolant leaks.

I'm glad you're getting your dealership involved, MIKE80. Send me a PM with your details and I'll loop in your regional customer service manager. In your message, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Update

Dealer just called me and said the right front axle seal was the cause of the leak and they were pulling the axle and replacing the seal.

No coolant leaks found.

Also, they said that they were going to take a photo of the right front door aluminum trim and send it to Ford and see how they want them to go about repairing the air bubble in it.

Here's the dealers findings for the leak:

Found PTU intermediate shaft seal leaking, remove intermediate shaft, and replace PTU seal, reassemble.

Cause: Porous Seal
7275A Seal - Output Shaft - PTU Pinion Shaft
Replace (7275/7H426) - L
1 DB5Z*7275*B Kit - Seal

I'll drive it a bit and check it again to make sure there's no more leaking.

The PTU issue has come up several times. I had my 2011 Limited for 3 years. and the subsequent owner had the same issue shortly after buying it. The good thing was that I had the 4 year ESP on the Explorer which he took over.
In case you're wondering why I had the ESP, the lease was for 4 years but the dealer really wanted it back after 3.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379087&highlight=PTU

Peter

Back