• Register Today It's free!

New ST - Tune Question

bdSt1981

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hello all. First time post and new member here. I am about 2300 miles into my new ST and love it.
I am co soldering getting a tune at Livernois and wondered about a few things that members may be able to answer before I inundate Livernois with newbie questions.

So, do you need to choose what type of tune? Clearly using e50 would be a rare occurrence not an everyday thing. 93 would be the more realistic daily option but it would be nice to be able to do both as I do have easy access to the needed blend fuels.

So, does the calibrator allow you to select which tune you want to use?

Does anyone have any real world experience with the tune in the ST? Track and 0-60 times?
Thanks everyone!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no shift on the fly tunes. Each tune you want would have to be downloaded each time you want to switch.

Keep in mind, if you go with Livernois, the tuner will forever be locked to your vehicle so you could not sell it to recover some of your cost to another Explorer owner. I think that is a very ****ty thing to do to their customers.

Welcome to the Forum bdSt1981 from a former 'Londoner'.:wave:

Peter

Tha is for the reply guys. Hello from London Peter!
Blwnsmoke, what sort of time process is changing/downloading different tunes? Is it something I would do once a year to run the drag strip?

Tha is for the reply guys. Hello from London Peter!
Blwnsmoke, what sort of time process is changing/downloading different tunes? Is it something I would do once a year to run the drag strip?

Cant speak about Livernois because I specifically chose to go with someone who does not lock the equipment down. However, the initial read was almost 20 minutes. Had to send that file to the tuner, he created the updated tune. But as far as programming the vehicle, took a little over 3 minutes to upload to the vehicle. 3 minutes is pretty darn good.. I'm used to 10+ min with my f350 with the sct x4.

Cant speak about Livernois because I specifically chose to go with someone who does not lock the equipment down. However, the initial read was almost 20 minutes. Had to send that file to the tuner, he created the updated tune. But as far as programming the vehicle, took a little over 3 minutes to upload to the vehicle. 3 minutes is pretty darn good.. I'm used to 10+ min with my f350 with the sct x4.

The initial read does take a long time, but with HPTuners if you flash the calibration only and not the entire file, it takes under 1 minute to upload. MPVI2 is required for vehicles newer than 2019 with HPTuners, along with 4 credits per vehicle instead of 2.

I do my own tuning, so I generally tune for E30 and run 93 octane for the street.

Hey question for you guys - with the known issues the 2020+ Explorer has…hard shifts…various things like that I’ve seen…will a performance tune remove/resolve those types of mechanical based issues like that? Assuming it’s not a deeper issue?

Hey question for you guys - with the known issues the 2020+ Explorer has…hard shifts…various things like that I’ve seen…will a performance tune remove/resolve those types of mechanical based issues like that? Assuming it’s not a deeper issue?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Majority of shifting issues is/was with the 2.3. majority of 3.0s have been great.

Majority of shifting issues is/was with the 2.3. majority of 3.0s have been great.

It's the same transmission, 10R60. And no, a performance tune won't fix it. There are still lots of 10R80s with the same or similar issues. Seems to be hit or miss.

I will ask people at work about their F-150s with the 10R80. Some say everything is fine. Others will say it feels a bit weird at times with light throttle use. My boss said his was ok up until recently where he said it is almost undriveable around town. He has to drive in Sport mode all the time.

When I test drove a 2020 ST, I pushed it fairly hard and it felt fine. But this was basically a brand new 10R60 and I was in Sport mode. My 2 cents is that the 10R80 and 10R60 are relatively half-baked at this point. GM's 10L90 or 10L100 versions of the same transmissions seem to be a hit with their Camaro and Silverados. I have not heard any similar complaints even on the ZL1 that gets pushed hard. The 10L90 in the ZL1 was even complimented for shifting as fast or faster than the McLaren's DCT transmission.

It's the same transmission, 10R60. And no, a performance tune won't fix it. There are still lots of 10R80s with the same or similar issues. Seems to be hit or miss.

I will ask people at work about their F-150s with the 10R80. Some say everything is fine. Others will say it feels a bit weird at times with light throttle use. My boss said his was ok up until recently where he said it is almost undriveable around town. He has to drive in Sport mode all the time.

When I test drove a 2020 ST, I pushed it fairly hard and it felt fine. But this was basically a brand new 10R60 and I was in Sport mode. My 2 cents is that the 10R80 and 10R60 are relatively half-baked at this point. GM's 10L90 or 10L100 versions of the same transmissions seem to be a hit with their Camaro and Silverados. I have not heard any similar complaints even on the ZL1 that gets pushed hard. The 10L90 in the ZL1 was even complimented for shifting as fast or faster than the McLaren's DCT transmission.

Just because it's the same trans, it's not the same programming. The 2.3 programming is different then the 3.0 and majority of issues as I said are with the 2.3.

I think people have different ideas of shifting quality. If you are coming from a previous generation explorer or truck, you might think it shifts fine. It shifts like a few cars I've driven too. But it's ungainly and compared to my wife's Audi Q5 and our Miata automatic, it is noticeably uncouth. Tunes can make a big difference. I actually think Sport mode is smoother because it shifts faster. Particularly true when getting on the throttle. But stock, in normal mode, and with city driving, it is not a smooth shifting car. I think it's a Ford thing and not isolated to the 10R60 or 10R80 because the loaner Escape and to a lesser extent, Fusion were similar shifting.

I have the Livernois tune. After you purchase it they send you the calibrator tool. You scan the vehicle and upload to them. At that point you can ask for types of tunes you want. I got a 93tune and 87 tune just to keep my options open and I am just daily driving so no track. They send you the tunes a day or 2 later. You have to install the tune you want to run on. Takes a quick couple mins to install into the vehicle. Then if you want to switch then you have to hook up and install the other tune.

Back