CALDWELL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia Airport, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 V6 Silver XLT
Whats up Boys !!

I just got my " starter system " installed...

DUAL HU...DUAL 1000w 2 channel amp...KENWOOD 5x7's...KENWOOD 12'' 1200w MAX... ( SUB MODEL = W3011 )

Im curious about the performance of my SUB...

tonight i was playing with my BASS setting on my HU... my current bass setting is set at ( -6 ), slowly i turned up the bass one interavel at a time. i finally got to ( 0 ) and i started to lightly smell my sub wiring heating up, and i QUICKLY turned the bass down then the HU volume... i didnt blow the sub, i let it cool down for 15 minutes... and i turned the VOLUME back up to my original settings... it kept playing as normal... thankfully !!!

im curious, how does my 1000w amp almost blow my 1200w sub at ( 0 ) BASS on my HU ?????? i dont want to sound nieve, but i am curious ????

also i heard... if i buy another SUB ( same model ) and split the power of my amp ( 500w per sub ) my X will sound louder ?????

thanks guys... i really do want to start learning about this stuff, now that i own a small system...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your Dual amp is rated at 1x500W RMS when bridged, your sub is rated at 400W RMS. Peak power doesn't mean ****.

ok... that would explain alot !!!!

thank you !!!!!

what exactly does RMS stand for ???? again not being nieve, but i have no clue ????

also, if i leave my bass setting at ( -6 to -4 ) on my HU... i wouldnt break the sub ???

rms means root mean square of wattage

its usually about half...

your playing with the subwoofer equalizer on your HU...you need to check your gain or bass boost on your amp...

RMS can also be in reference to voltage or current. Take the peak output, or max and multiply by 0.707 to get RMS

well i found out from an above post...

my AMP bridged puts out 500 RMS ( amp is bridged currently )

my sub is only rated for 400 RMS... so i think this weekend im goin to go out and buy another sub, the same model... so i dont run the risk of blowing my subs as easily...

if i buy a second sub... will my truck still be as loud as it is currently ??

no, it should be louder, with 2 subs, you are moving twice the volume of air over just a single sub.

really ? even with the power of the amp being split in 2 ??

thats awsome !!!!!!

so at 250 RMS to each sub ( rated for 400 RMS ) i wouldnt really have to worry about taking the chance of blowing them ???

wow im really excited now lol !!

if i buy a second sub... will my truck still be as loud as it is currently ??

Since your amp will not handle less than a 4ohm load running mono, you will have to run them as one sub per channel, so each will get 200 watts RMS. So, don't expect twice as much bass with two subs...

With just one sub, you already found out you can't use it full power without toasting the sub and wiring, with 2 subs, the added load will match the output of your amp better

Do you have these "KENWOOD 5x7's" wired to this amp somehow...?

nah my door speakers arent wired to an amp.. just the HU...

ok so by spliting the amp will sound just as good, but i wont fry my subs either...???

that sucks dude i just tossed out a dual 12" sub box

well i solved the issue...

i went and bought another sub this morning and put both subs in a ported box...

the " full system " i guess you could say consists of...

DUAL HU - DUAL 1000w AMP - KENWOOD 5x7's - 2 KENWOOD 1200w SUBS

well i solved the issue...

i went and bought another sub this morning and put both subs in a ported box...

the " full system " i guess you could say consists of...

DUAL HU - DUAL 1000w AMP - KENWOOD 5x7's - 2 KENWOOD 1200w SUBS

the 2 sub system will be louder than the single...and it will sound better too. :thumbsup:

the 2 sub system will be louder than the single...

This is not necessarily true...

How are the subs wired to the amp? One per channel? Amp running mono? Series? Parallel?

caldwellsubs.jpg

this is what i have now...

i have no idea how its wired other that one sub per channel

Whats up Boys !!

I just got my " starter system " installed...

DUAL HU...DUAL 1000w 2 channel amp...KENWOOD 5x7's...KENWOOD 12'' 1200w MAX... ( SUB MODEL = W3011 )

Im curious about the performance of my SUB...

tonight i was playing with my BASS setting on my HU... my current bass setting is set at ( -6 ), slowly i turned up the bass one interavel at a time. i finally got to ( 0 ) and i started to lightly smell my sub wiring heating up, and i QUICKLY turned the bass down then the HU volume... i didnt blow the sub, i let it cool down for 15 minutes... and i turned the VOLUME back up to my original settings... it kept playing as normal... thankfully !!!

im curious, how does my 1000w amp almost blow my 1200w sub at ( 0 ) BASS on my HU ?????? i dont want to sound nieve, but i am curious ????

also i heard... if i buy another SUB ( same model ) and split the power of my amp ( 500w per sub ) my X will sound louder ?????

thanks guys... i really do want to start learning about this stuff, now that i own a small system...

Its probably your voice coils your smelling

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is the after shot... originally i had only the single 12, but i quickly up graded to 2 12's

Back