• Register Today It's free!

New subs and Box Designs

Nixthebomb

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OKlahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport
I'm gonna order this sub http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18507_Cerwin_Vega_HED_152.aspx hopefully tomorrow.

I will be ordering another one, hopefully in another two weeks. I've designed a box to hold both of them, and actually be able to utilize the cargo cover again.

It's 10" tall, 41" wide, and 17.5" deep, it will just slip in between the wheel wells. and still give me some cargo space. Subs will be top mounted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds awesome! I'm doing something like that this weekend, (sub enclosure hidden behind the back panel) but I don't have the ability or skill to build anything drastic. I'd love to see a pic!

Just an FYI, top mounted subs lose some emphasis in the 30hz range and lower. Rear facing gets more OOMPH in those lower notes. But, other than that, it sounds like a good idea. Dropping it right where you plan to is nice.

And, I used to have my down firing setup with the cargo cover still usable, it was nice.
The only thing I didn't like about it, the arm for the cover rattled like crazy!

Post the specs of the box...Is it ported?

Sorry been gone all day. Well I don't seem to have issues with the sound. The one I had before it blew was amazing firing up.

It's a sealed box. 10" high overall, 41" wide overall, and 17.5" deep overall.

Internal specs for each will be 8.5"x19"x16" which is 1.495 cubic foot.

Subenclosure.jpg

The black strip in the middle is 2 3/4" sheets MDF, so the subs will be separated by 1 1/2".
Quick mock up not to size either lol

I'm still not sure how I'll wrap the box. Carpet? Vinyl? Paint?. Don't really like the look of vinyl though.

Wooh just ordered one sub

Just an FYI, top mounted subs lose some emphasis in the 30hz range and lower. Rear facing gets more OOMPH in those lower notes. But, other than that, it sounds like a good idea. Dropping it right where you plan to is nice.

And, I used to have my down firing setup with the cargo cover still usable, it was nice.
The only thing I didn't like about it, the arm for the cover rattled like crazy!

I have had many setups in my explorer and in the blazer and have done boxes firing up, with the port to the back or to the side and never had a problem hitting the lows. THe only problem with firing back that we have found is sub back doesnt seem to do a good score on the TL. The best box I have had so far was with (2) 15" AQ HDC3s in about 8.5 cubes net with a 10 inch aero side firing. Subs were lined up on the drivers side and the port fired to the passenger near the hatch. (external aero)

Yeah, ported enclosures matter based on the tuning frequency and the location of the port.
My current setup has the sub rear firing with the ports facing upwards and it is a lot louder than when I had the woofer facing up with the port facing up.

But, sealed is another ball game.
I have had several sealed enclosures in my ex, all with the amplifier and chamber volumes, just different designs and placement. In terms of loudness from the drivers seat, they were sorted like this...
  • Down-firing
  • Rear-Firing
  • Up-Firing
  • Side Firing
  • Front Firing

A total of four different sealed enclosures were built for my 2 - 12" Audiobahns that I used to run.

--------------------------

But, this is also all what I felt or heard was louder.
None of these were tested using any equipment.

Sub up, port up doesnt seem to work well for much of anything. I have never really heard or seen that design working well.

Sub up, port up doesnt seem to work well for much of anything. I have never really heard or seen that design working well.

Yeah, I found that one out the hard way.

Back