New suspension for a 1994 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New suspension for a 1994 Explorer

divkladek

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Currently, my 94 XLT feels every bump on the road. It even makes up bumps, I suspect. It just rides rough for the hell of it on completely level road. I'd like to replace the suspension for smooth riding. Anyone care to recommend some springs and struts? This is something I'd like to do before any other performance upgrades on this truck. It just rides like complete hell. :p

Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you ever do off road with the truck, or only on road. I currently run edelbrock shocks all around. my explorer is my daily driver, and my wheeler, and these are a great shock to use for both. they are very durable off road but still provide a pretty good ride on road.
if you want a really smooth ride on road, but not much off road performance, then go with something like a monroe gas charge, as they will be very squishy.
hope this helps.
riley

What springs/shocks/tires do you have on there now? What pressure do you run the tires at?

Tires and tire pressure might make a bigger difference than shocks. The stock springs should give a pretty nice ride.

If you want a suggestion for new stuff, I'd say for the best luxury-like SUV ride, get Michelin LTX M/S or Michelin Cross-Terrain SUV tires, and something like Monroe Sensa-Trac or KYB GR-2 shocks.

Keep in mind new shocks will be pretty firm until they break in, and you'll have to experiment with tire pressures to get the ride you want. Something like 30-32 psi works good.

You might check your tire pressure on your current tires first, though. Higher outdoor temps cause higher tire pressures, so your tires might be at 35+ psi, making them ride rough.

all very good info, the monroe sensa tracs are the ones i was trying ot think of in the first post, a buddy of mine has those in his truck and it rides very soft.
the lowest pressure that you should run is 34 imo, but i try to get the best tire wear and best gas mileage i can, so thats why i suggest that, i currently run 39 in town, and go down to about 35 while off road

34-39psi? That must mean you have 44 or 50psi tires...

Our 33" BFGs were 50psi max tires.. the current 33's are 35psi.. So, choosing your psi is very dependent on how heavy your truck is, the weight carrying capacity of the tires and of course, at what pressure the tires can carry the weight.

Also, Shocks will "help" the ride.. They will cut down the "bounce", If they are way too tight they will help make the truck ride like a board as it won't let the suspension move. BUT.. your springs will have a lot to do with it too.

The stock front springs are linear rate, meaning they are the same stiffness all the way thorugh the travel. Going to a progressive rate spring will make the truck ride "softer" when cruising down the flat road, but will stiffen up if you hit a bump hard enough to let the suspension travel some.

There is a trade off though.. If you want a nice "flat" ride, but soft (not board like) you are basically fighting the suspension types. Flat ride normally means stiffer springs with stiff shocks while softer/smoother suspension means more body roll etc (sway bars will help that)..

I don't personally have experience with them, but the self adjusting shocks "should help" in theory as they are softer until they are moved quickly..

Just throwing out some info/ideas in case they help.. I know our truck rides very smooth, especially across really rough terrain, but I have nice long pregressive rate springs and 12" travel shocks up front which means also means I can get people seasick because it doesn't ride flat (no sway bars either).. I'd say its the exact opposite of a "flat/sporty" ride, but its amazing "smooth"

~Mark

mine are rated 50 psi max, so i like 39.

how does your truck handle on road without the sway bars, ive been considering removing mine.
is there any way you know of to make a quick release for them? so i can pull it off easily when wheeling, then throw them back on for the highway.

it sways a lot.. You drive where your going, not what you feel.. To most people, its uncomfortable to drive.. I've been driving vehicles without them (full size van before the x) so to me, its no big deal.. Removing one sway bar may not be so bad, but removing both, most people won't like.

A friend of mine gets motion sickness riding in it..

Now off-road.. its great.. smooth and soaks up the bumps.. if the bumps are hit at an angle (isntead of both front tires at the same time) its even smoother..

one of these days I'm gonna get some video of the front suspension as I go t hrough the rough stuff..

~Mark

EDIT: forgot to say.. yes you can make quick disconnects. there are a few people with them.. normally they just use a pin instead of the bolt. Removing the rear will really increase your suspension travel...

How about cheap shocks? Mine are shot. I dont go off road and my motorcycle is my daily rider. Autozone has some cheapos for $20 a pop all around.

those are fine if you dont care about the ride of it too much.
basically all i can say on that is, with shocks, you get what you pay for, so you will feel a difference in 20 dollar shocks and 50 dollar shocks

Back