New Tire Opinions Needed... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Tire Opinions Needed...

Alrightly since winter is coming fast here in Seattle, I'm in the market for some new tires. I have narrowed the list down to these...

Toyo Open Country A/T
Wild Country XTX Sport A/T
All Terrain SXT
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
Bridgestone Dueler A/T

From what I have found on here and google is both the Toyos and Bridgestone tires are awesome but have some downsides. Mostly uneven wear and balancing issues. The tires will be used all year so they need to be good in all conditions. I am mainly concerned about snow, I snowboard a lot so good grip on snow and ice is a key factor for me.

I just want to hear opinions (good and bad) from people with Explorers that have these tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...i like the bfg a/t's but my old tires on my ranger were dunlop range rover a/t's...look them up...killer tire in the snow when you don't need chains...they are quiet and inexpensive...;)

I've read that the bfg's aren't too great in rain, seeing how I'm in Seattle that kind of puts them away.

My current tires are Dunlop Radial Rovers, they are good tire but the tread is getting low and weren't too great in snow last year. Plus they have changed the tread pattern and the reviews are very good. :thumbdwn:

...my bfg a/t's are great in the rain...it's a shame about dunlop as mine were up in big bear all last winter and did great even in stage 2 snow warnings...i hate it when they change something that works...:(

snoborder-
I have BFG ATs and I'm in Portland. They do great in the rain, even really heavy downpours.

I had 2 sets BFG AT's on my 98 and plowed through almost 2 feet of snow one time in the sierras when the road was closed without a problem. I have read good things about the general grabber at2 which I am currently looking at purchasing got my 06 since they are suppose to be about the same as the BFG AT’s but better in snow and cheaper, otherwise I would go with the BFG AT’s again

What are the BFG's like on the freeway, noisey? Also would they cause a big drop in gas mileage because they are so aggressive.

...heck no, they are quiet and along with some other small mods and bfg a/t's, my ranger gets 1-2 mpg better than before...i'm a fan as i've run them on most all of my f250's since the 70's...;)

A few tires to look into:

Cooper Discoverer A/T ( a blocky type all terrain )

Cooper Discoverer ATR ( a hybrid- A/T and Highway mix )

I like the ATR's- they get many many miles and usually cost less than other brands. They have lots of siping, are fairly quiet.

EDIT: The Toyo Open Country A/Ts are nice tires too.

I am with everyone else. BFG's AT's are the way to go. I live in Minnesnowta and let me tell ya these tires grip like now other. Michellin tires are also a excellent buy although pricey(you do get what you pay for though).

I've had the Toyo ATs on my sport and they were great in the snow, ok in the rain and handled great dry. I also got over 50,000 miles out of them and that was with several burnouts. They wore funky, but that was because my alignment was way off. I now have the BFG ATs as I wanted something more aggressive. I had a lot of shops pushing me into the bridgestones, but they were way more expensive, plus my dad has this thing against bridgestone/firestone. You can't go wrong with the toyos or BFGs. Also look into price matching. When I picked my toyos, the shop wanted like $145 a piece for 31's, but I had them price match them to $115 a tire.

Dan

i would recommend the Dueler A/T Revo's.... i had two sets on a Honda Passport, and just got a set on my Explorer today. as far as all around wet/icy/snowy/regular driving they cant be beat, look pretty aggressive and have a great tread life.

I've had Toyo Open Country A/T's for about 50k miles now. They have been great in rain, snow, dirt, etc. I had the tires siped when I got them, which may help with icy roads. Wear has been even, and there is still plenty of tread left. They do ride a bit firm, but I'm running LT's, which have a pretty stiff sidewall (6-ply, iirc)

I know quite a few people that swear by the Wild Country's though I've never run them myself. They are a very popular tire here in the NW.

Same for the Revos, the reviews here on EF have been positive, but I have no experience with them,.

I've been very happy with the Bridgestone Dueller ATs on snow... less so on serious ice, but then maybe only studded tires are really any use on ice. I guess I've probably had mine about 4yrs and 50,000 kms. My fronts have worn strangely but then I've had some front end issues (radius arm bushings, ball joints). The rears are in very good shape. To my mind they're also a perfectly good tire on dry pavement; I think I've met better rain tires.

I'm considering whether I should buy chains, but only because I might be spending a few months in camp up north (the territories). I've comfortably booted around in unplowed ski-hill parkings lots (say 2.5 ft deep) and never managed to bury the truck. I'm only considering chains because I might soon be driving places where help could be hours away.

I had the Bridgestone Duelers on my '01 Sport 2WD and they were pretty good in snow up here in lake-effect country. I have the Cooper Discoverer ATR's on Snowball, and haven't had them in snow yet, but they are awesome in the rain, and smooth and quiet on the highway, not mych flex either just driving, I'm very happy with them- might check those out as well.

I had the Bridgestone Duelers on my '01 Sport 2WD and they were pretty good in snow up here in lake-effect country. I have the Cooper Discoverer ATR's on Snowball, and haven't had them in snow yet, but they are awesome in the rain, and smooth and quiet on the highway, not mych flex either just driving, I'm very happy with them- might check those out as well.

I have the Brigestone Dueler ATs on my Trailblazer right now and can't wait to get rid of them... They turn into skates on wet roads once they wear down a bit. Yes, you will pull 60 + K miles out of them, but at a cost... I'm sideways in every turn on wet roads -- even when I'm not trying. There are better tires out there these days...

I'm switching to the Cooper ATRs. Great looking tire, and if they run out as good as their sibling company, Pro Comp, they'll balance without weights and last for a good long time.

I have the Brigestone Dueler ATs on my Trailblazer right now and can't wait to get rid of them... They turn into skates on wet roads once they wear down a bit.

Are these the Dueler ATs or AT Revos?

Anyway I have narrowed my search down to 3 tires, sorry the BFGs aren't on there. I just cant get past all the poor reviews of them...

Here's the new list...

Toyo Open Country AT
Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo

Now here is the problem, the Wild Country have almost identical tread pattern to the Revos but they are about $20 less per tire. But they are so new that there are no reviews of them out yet...

wildcountryxtxsport_lg.jpg

Revos
brirl1.ang.jpg

Anybody see the down side to getting the Wild Country vs the Revos?

Are these the Dueler ATs or AT Revos?
They can't be Revos. I am on my second set of Revos and they are superb in all kinds of rain and light snow. Best "on road" A/T I have driven on by far.

Seems a lot of people are either getting misdirected by tire dealers or hear 'Dueler A/T Revos', then see 'Dueler A/Ts' sell for $30 less per tire and go for those instead. Totally different class of tire. No comparison at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Geolander all terain mud and snow. best stock tires out there. i love them!

Back