• Register Today It's free!

New Tires, Bumpy Ride, Rotors?

Black_Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Sport Trac
Hey guys I just got this truck so sorry or all the questions.

The truck has new tires the same as the originals. I changed all the brake pads and the back right rotor. I haven't got the tires balanced yet but it doesn't seem like a tire issue.

Around town you can feel it at certain speeds it feels like a wobble. Then from about 50 to 65 its smooth then from 70 to 90 it gets progressively worse.

I was thinking it is a rotor out of wack or something. How could I check that like all i'm thinking is take off the rotor and lay it on the table and if its crooked the replace it. Well I got all new brake pads three old rotors and brand new tires. I'm going to get the tires balanced tomorrow so if its that then its all good but I still need to know about the rotors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were your rotors, it would be an issue of vibrating when you're stopping. If you are just driving or accellerating, it most likely is something else. My $$$ would be on the tires/wheels. You need to get them balanced before you can eliminate them. IMO, no point in checking anything else until that's done.

there were no divets/bumps on the rotors so i didn't turn them but I did change one rotor because there was a rust ring so I went ahead and did that. I was just wondering if a warped rotor could make the car shake at about 5 different ranges from 0 to 100mph.

I'm getting the tires balanced at 3 o'clock so I'll post after that.

it will shake with a warped rotor only when your braking. You would also feel that in the pedal.

make sure you get a alignment and high speed balance.

don't forget to have them torque the lugs down properly and not too high or you will warp the rotors.

it ended up being the back two tires were "cut" he showed me where the inner part of the tire (closest to trans) had high low points. Its going to cost me about $250 to have it fixed.

Still cheaper than a new car payment, right?

amen to that!

Back