New tires for 05 Expl XLT 4WD 4LV6 help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New tires for 05 Expl XLT 4WD 4LV6 help!!!

daimion

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT 4WD
Hello all. I have a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4LV6. My current tires are BFgoodrich p245/65r17 105T. the tread is wearing thin and need to be replaced soon. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a set of tires to replace these with. i was over at tirerack and apparently these showed up as the best choice but i wanted actual 05 explorer owners input before i pull the trigger.

here is a link to the tires
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tirecatalog/Firestone/DestinationLE2/

here is the quote provided to me
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tire_pricing/quote.jsp?article=97997&qty=4

any and all help is greatly appreciated. thank you all for your time!

Hello, I work as a tech at a Ford dealership. I also have owned 3 different 2002-2005 explorers. I have mounted a ton of tires on these trucks and personally I would not pick the BFG as my first choice. Don't get me wrong, they are great tires, if you were getting some All-terrains or Mud-terrains then I would say go for it. But I imagine you are getting the rugged terrains that were O.E. on most of these. I had a set on my '02 and they were ok, but I think they look too skinny for the size, also the tread wear was just ok. I replaced them with a set of Goodyear Fortera HL which are a midgrade tire. I absolutely love these, plus I got them for about $110 each. 245/65R17. I put some Goodyear Assurance triple treads on my wife's Explorer also 17s and they are excellent so far. Tread wear on my Forteras are excellent as well. They have great traction in the snow and rain, and they look nice. My wifes tires are brand new, so no review for them yet. If you do go with the Forteras, make sure you get the black letter kind, for some reason the outline white variety was almost $70 more each. Everything else was the same. I would also highly recommend your local Ford dealership to buy them from. They will beat anyone's prices on tires, we routinely price match tirerack's prices. Plus the rebates they offer are pretty good.

I own a 2003 Explorer XLT Sport 4WD with 170,000 miles. The original equipment tires were BFG Rugged Trail. They only lasted 43K miles. I replaced them with Michilin Cross Terrains. The first set of these lasted 60k, had some tread left but I replaced with winter coming. The next set lasted 67k. I rotate the tires every 5k miles. I just got another set of tires. With 170k, I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $700-800 on a set of Michilens again, but if I had, I would have gone with the LTX M/S. Read the reviews on the tire sites, they are almost universally rated high. Some people get over 100k miles on them. I went with the Fortera HL and got them at my Ford dealer. They did beat the price of my normal tire store, plus I got $140 in rebates (including $70 for getting and paying with a Ford service credit card) plus another $25 into my Ford Owners Advantage account. Net price around $350!. Now, as far as the customer reviews go, they are only so so. About half the people say they only get 30k miles out of the tire despite a 60k rating, the other half say they are fine. But I figured for half the price, these should get me to at least 200k miles on my vehicle which is my goal. Good luck.

I would agree about the Michelins, very nice tires, they always balance out nicely. We never have complaints about them, definitely a case of "you get what you pay for" with any Michelin, as they are somewhat pricey.

Back