New tires Give me some ideas and pics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New tires Give me some ideas and pics

JCR

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 2002 XLS that is going to need new tires in the spring. I want to put 255/70-16's on it and would like to see some pics of other explorers with this size tire on them. Also I am really happy with the Michelin cross terrains that are on it. They are very quiet and have worn great and work well in the snow. Is there a better tire? I was actually thinking about the Goodyear triple treads. What do you guys think? My Michelins have 56,000 miles on them and will easily make it through this coming winter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting mine installed right now. It's getting larger ones on it, unsure what size. I can email pics to you if you'd like.

Email sent.

Capt Obvious, I got your pics and as it may be my explorer is also white so I can really get a good idea how mine will look. Thanks!

If you search the tire forum you can get some great ideas, I have a thread on there I just started, I too am looking at some tires and have narrowed it down, you can get some great pics by just searching!

I'm getting Bridgestone AT 245/75/16's mounted wednesday, 1" taller then stock and same width for good winter traction

Consider Bridgstone Dueler AT REVO tire -

Great tread, extremely quiet, excellent traction and wear

I would stick with the Michelin Cross Terrain. Both of my Explorers have them. Exceptional wear, noise, and good looking too. The 255/70/16 has even longer treadwear than the same tire in stock size.

Personally I think Michelin tires are good but overated....

but it is your choice that matters. I have had longer tread wear and excellent performance with Bridgestone REVO over the years compared to the
Cross Terrain, I have owned both.

And the Goodyear Wrangler for me was terrible, noisy, with uneven wear and chopped up. I'll never own another set.

I rotate tires with every single oil change with out fail, and I am on my 4th Explorer.

You can not possibly go wrong with Michelin, it is a fine product, no doubt. But whatever you do, do not skimp on your tire purchase.

By the way, I looked real close at that Goodyear Triple Tread at Discount Tire, but I was still able to get a better deal on the REVO tires from Bridgestone.

I just ordered bridgestone dueler H/L Alenza's. 65,000 mile warranty...

Look at them at tirerack.com

if you want larger tires, can't 3rd gens fit 265/75 R16's stock? I'm pretty sure some have done it.

We have Firestone Destination LE's on our '02 in 245/75/16. Good tire.

Bridgstone Dueler A/T Revo
P255/70R16

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-5.jpg

Untitled-6.jpg

Untitled-7.jpg

I will post pics of the Alenza's tomorrow when i get them mounted.

Great tread, extremely quiet, excellent traction and wear

I just ordered my Bridgstone Dueler A/T Revo's...Cant wait...but they sure were expensive (for me) at $196 each...But I guess you get what you pay for

That was a little high in price, Tire rack has them for $160 each. Good tire though just make sure you rotate and balance them often some people have issue with them wearing quickly. I rotate and balance them every 3k miles and get an alignment every spring

That was a little high in price, Tire rack has them for $160 each. Good tire though just make sure you rotate and balance them often some people have issue with them wearing quickly. I rotate and balance them every 3k miles and get an alignment every spring

How off is the alignment when you get it checked every spring?

sometimes never, but after some pot holes in the winter and spring it can be off.

sometimes never, but after some pot holes in the winter and spring it can be off.
Cool. Well I've had my Ex for a year now and never had it done. But I think it would be good to do to protect my investment lol:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back