new tires or new tires and rims? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

new tires or new tires and rims?

new tires or new tires and rims?

• Just tires with my factory 16"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 15" rims with new tires

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonlax

Reaction score
City, State
Bensalem, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt
So i have a problem. I am in the market for new tires and found the ones i want but i am looking into going to 15" rims. I have 16" factory rims on now with 265/75/16 goodyear wranglers on it. I want a more agressive tire since the vehicle is only driven once in a while. I found super swamper SSRs but they are cheaper to run with a 15" rim combo than with the 16" i have now.

The pro's are that i will have a tire that is streetable since the wranglers are only 8k old and a seprate tire/rim set up would be avalable if i go with 15" inch rim and tire package. So i would have 2 sets of tires which is always good. The second pro would be that 15" rims are cheaper to buy tires for so in the long run i will save money.

The cons are i might wear out lug nuts and strp bolts with changing out tires. The tires are bias ply which i like but have a rough ride for the first few miles.

The pros outweight the cons but i am still not sure. Any reccomendations?