New to Forum - with a warning for others re program 17N03 (X-Sport) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to Forum - with a warning for others re program 17N03 (X-Sport)

Methos

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone, I wanted to let everyone know about my recent experience at the dealer. I was asked when getting my tires rotated if I wanted to a carbon monoxide recall mediation for my 2017 X-Sport. I asked whats all involved and they told me it's just a flash of the climate control system as well as a better sealing of some gasket(s). I reluctantly said yes and asked if it would change the performance. They told me it was only for the climate control and nothing else would be affected. When driving my car back home, I noticed the car felt like boost had been cut and it no longer performs as it did. It feels like a 25% difference to me.

I brought it back in Saturday and was told there was nothing they could do to reverse the flash and what was done shouldn't have affected the performance. I was asked to bring it in again for someone else to look at it in two weeks (when a loaner would be available), but I'm not sure I want the car in there again.

The car is a lease so I'm pretty much stuck with it for two more years unless I can find a way out of this lease. Before this fix, I loved the car but now, it feels like a 3.5L without turbos and I absolutely hate it. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do, but I know I'm not happy at all...

I just wanted to send this to other X-Sport owners out there, Don't do this recall fix unless you don't mind giving up your performance.

I am considering doing a tune on the car now, but I don't want anything that requires other modifications, I usually just drive local street traffic and just want something that's just a hair bit better than stock. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Methos.:wave:
As blwnsmoke posted, the reflash has nothing to do with the vehicles power/performance. Many members have had this service done and have not noticed any difference.
Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust
I am scheduled to have this same issue looked at this week. Although I prefer not to have it done, I don't know if I have a choice since mine too is a lease.
BTW, it is not a recall but a Customer Satisfaction Program 17N03.

Peter

There may very well be an issue with your car, but I feel comfortable joining with the others in stating that this CSP shouldn't have had anything to do with performance.

I had this done on my Ex last fall and saw no change in performance.
I also agree with others that HVAC reprogram should have no impact to performance.

Any local dyno shops in your area?
That's the only sure way to see if there was a performance drop.

I had it done on my Expmorer last year and it felt like I was missing 2 turbos..:laugh:

You could download your as built data from Ford and reflash your system using Forscan. Although I can't say I have any experience doing so, and would advise extreme care if you were to choose that route.

Edit: I should add that this has nothing to do with performance, only with your HVAC system. There is something else wrong with your vehicle, if anything at all.
Ummm, that's not how it works. The module firmware is different from the asbuilt data...

As far as the rest of the thread, it seems like it's lacking about 25% compared to other similar threads. If you have the cash/credit burning a hole in your pocket, go for the tune and see how that works out. And/or, maybe consider a high performance K&N or AEM filter as I hear they really pack a punch. No need to visit a dyno shop - just get a Bluetooth OBD adapter and download Torque and do some 0-60 and 1/4 mile pulls to see what kind of results you get before and after.

Agree that the flash would not affect performance, but clearly you are having a loss of power.

The immediate suspect is the turbo and the hoses to and from it. I would check for any loose hoses or clamps. When you take it to the dealer, have them hook it up and check for any boost leaks.

Thanks everyone for all your input. It seems that the torque is coming back slowly now. Maybe I should have waited for a while for everything to settle before I blew the horn. I'm hoping it returns fully to it's previous state. Anyhow, thanks for the answers and replies.

Thanks everyone for all your input. It seems that the torque is coming back slowly now. Maybe I should have waited for a while for everything to settle before I blew the horn. I'm hoping it returns fully to it's previous state. Anyhow, thanks for the answers and replies.
Ummm, that's not how it works either. Maybe they reset the PCM/TCM and it is "relearning", but torque/power doesn't just come back slowly over time.

Back