New to forum. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to forum.

masonsjeep

Reaction score
City, State
UK Leeds
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all. Just bought the Wife a Ford Explorer with LPG after getting rid of the old Terrano.
Loving it so far but do have 2 problems.
1) We have a ticking sound coming fron under the bonnet under a heavy right foot, if you back off it stops.
2) Suspension light comes on after 30 mins or so of driving. Do i need new shocks. Can i revert to standared and not self leveling.

Thanks in advance.
Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome to the fold.

Your ticking will be early signs of timing chain,

and the suspension light coming on after 30 Min's happened to me, I did

replace my shocks with self leveling from Rock autos not had a problem since.

Well done getting one with LPG you can have double the pleasure from it than

me, enjoy

Terry

According to the recepts i got with the car. timing chain was done late 2008 approx 30K ago. Would they need doing again so soon?

sorry its been a long day:)

Welcome masonsjeep
on the ticking 1) does the receipt say what work was done as there is also a chain at the rear of the engine that the guide for can go? 2) is it under load or at certain revs ie can you hear it if someone revs the engine and you have your head under the bonnet. You may be able to pinpoint the noise. 3) check out the heat shields on the cats and the serp belt tensioner as both of these can make noise.
If you think it is the front chains do a search for 00m12 kit this could buy you some time.

On the suspension get under the rear end and have a look to see if the load sensor is still attached to the axle and the fitting at the floor. The ball joints that connect it can corrode and it can pop off.

The ticking is only when you give it a boot full. Hard acceleration. If you rev it at a standstill its quiet.

hi and welcome
is it doing it on petrol as well as lpg ?

Back