• Register Today It's free!

New to me '04 XLT

Pyzon

Reaction score
City, State
Central Ohio/Western NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
After 13 years and 255,000 miles I had to put my .97 F-150 out of it's misery and picked up a lease returned '04 Explorer XLT with the 4l V-6.

So far I am liking the Explorer (other than it taking some time to get used to the smaller confines) and since I usually keep things a long time, I'm interested in what I should do to make this Explorer last a long time.

It has 65000 miles and seems to have some of the loosey-goosey tranny up and down shifting characteristics I've read about. Also, the previous owner always had routine service done at a pretty large dealership, obviously using Motorcraft oils and filters.

Anyway, I am interested in switching to full synthetic oils/fluids, but are there still concerns in doing that at 65,000 miles like there used to be, such as leaking, etc. due to the synthetic solving of old gunk and such ?

What brand of oil and tranny fluid do you prefer ? I have had good luck with Amsoil in the past, but am open for suggestions. What oil change interval is recommended after the switch to full syn. ?

Thanks already for all the info on this forum, and I look forward to being a frequent visitor (and contributor when I have something to offer).

Pyzon

welcome pyzon u got pics of it ur explorer

Back