New to me 2003 with complex stereo, at idle car stalls until fuse disconnected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2003 with complex stereo, at idle car stalls until fuse disconnected

08EddieCA

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 & 03 X (Eddie B & XLS)
I bought a 2003 XLS with a complete sound system - two amps, to subs, four speakers, and a new head unit. When I bought the X it had a new Acdelco 130 amp alternator along with a dead battery.

I put a new battery in it, connected the fuse, drove down the street, and it stalled - dead. Disconnected the radio fuse and the x started right up.

The power wire for the amp fuse is a thin gauge wire. It’s connected directly to the positive post on the positive clamp.

Would connecting the power line to a fuse help with the draw on the battery? Here are some pics. I’ll try to research what each amp is today.

A fuse won’t help with any draw issues. I’m guessing you have a problem with one of the amps. Does the wire get hot? I’d disconnect the wire at the battery and drive it for a few days to isolate the issue to the stereo.

I’d add a bigger wire for the amps(at least 4 gauge, probable 2) The model numbers on the amps should tell what size they are. (You can also guess an amps output based on the total fusing on the amps themselves.)

This is a pretty basic system that looks like it was hacked in. It needs some reworking. I’d reconnect the amps one at a time. Does it have distribution blocks for the power at the amps?

Back