New to me 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 quick maintenance questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 quick maintenance questions

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
Picked up a garage kept, one owner 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC on it with 40,000 original miles....showroom condition. (quite a find).. I have owned Ford products before, and have also read all about the dreaded timing chain debacles associated with this engine (and have first hand experience with the 5.4 V8 as well).... This engine had it's oil changed every 3,000 miles....I run a fleet of rangers at work (all 2.3 and 3.0's) and run Mobil One religiously. My questions are:

I plan on changing oil every 3,000 miles with Mobil One 5-30 with Motorcraft Filter.
I live in Florida where we rarely get below 30 degrees, most cold start ups will be over 60 degrees
I usually let the engine warm a couple minutes before leaving the driveway
Being that I'm older now, I'm pretty easy on the engines....I don't really rev them much...I get there the same time as everyone else anyways.....Does all of this help with the Timing Chain Cassettes, or is it pretty much they're just gonna deteriorate anyways? Right now there is no noise at start up at all....nor at any rpm range. I have also read to change the tensioners at about 70,000 miles.....I know a lot of engines have their issues, but I enjoy getting 200,000 miles plus out of my engines....I just want to know from others that do know if those items above will make a sizeable difference.....Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quite a find indeed. Not abusing helps. Your oil change intervals definitely helps. Keep the engine clean. I have a 2010 with 73,000 miles and also mint. Service every 3,000 miles with filter. Have not changed my tensioners no noise. Vehicle in garage all winter start up in April no chain noise. Engine spotless inside.

Wow, that's a find for sure. When I picked up mine in 2007 it already had 40k. Oil changes, oil changes, oil changes .............

Oil change every 3-5 k miles I change mine a 4k like a religion I use m1 5w30 ep
And a pre oiler last engine lasted 385k miles

So why Mobile 1 instead of Motorcraft 5w-30? Around here the difference in price seems significant. Is there any benefit?

So why Mobile 1 instead of Motorcraft 5w-30? Around here the difference in price seems significant. Is there any benefit?
Just preference that's it

I have a fleet of rangers at work. All 2.3s and Vulcan 3.0s. I've run mobile one and motorcraft filters for decades. I sell them at 300,000 miles and they still run great. Never had an engine failure. I trust it.

Back