• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New to me 96 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Clif_SC

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer - Eddie Bauer
Greetings and Salutations!

I recently acquired a 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 4WD truck. It was owned by my deceased step father since it was new, then to my mother, and now to me.

Cracking a little over 193k miles, it has had the transmission rebuilt, the cluster is going to need to be repaired, and I think there is a oil leak (haven't checked it out, just saw some when I was looking at the tires)

Things to be done :
  • Cluster - Odometer doesn't always run, Speedo and everything else runs fine
  • Headlamps - Foggy : Want to replace them, gotta figure out if I wanna go on ebay, amazon or bite it for the OEM's
  • Cornering Lamps : See above
  • Trailer Harness : Was partially removed by unknown person. I think it is from the bumper to the first connect point that is missing
  • Bezel around the stereo (Cigarette Lighter is dangling behind it) From what I can tell, I have to replace the entire thing if I want to put it back in
  • Stereo - Power knob wont stay in to turn it off, plays fine, everything else is good
  • Bluetooth - Gotta find a way to get this feature. I am on the road 1 hour a day back and forth to work, and this is a must. Not sure if I wanna replace stereo or not, it plays and has a 6CD Changer in the console
  • A/C - Unknown issue, holds on pressure test, but somewhere is leaking freon, will be going to a shop for this

I am going to do a lot of lurking, asking a few questions, and may seem ignorant on a lot, but hoping to improve.

Thanks for help, in advance

Clif

PS: Pics may be added at a later time as I can

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

GingeRed11

Make Explorers Great Again!
Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB 4x4
Congrats! I have a 95 Eddie as well 4x4, sounds like it needs work but hey don't all cars do;)
Can't wait to see some pictures of your new ( to you) beast.
Keep us updated!
-Isaac

Clif_SC

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Congrats! I have a 95 Eddie as well 4x4, sounds like it needs work but hey don't all cars do;)
Can't wait to see some pictures of your new ( to you) beast.
Keep us updated!
-Isaac
Yes, they all need works. The only change that has been made was the paint, she went to a maaco (don't hate, it's my momma ;p) paint job. Was a beautiful white onyx, now its garnett (she is a big fan of University of South Carolina)

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

GingeRed11

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yes, they all need works. The only change that has been made was the paint, she went to a maaco (don't hate, it's my momma ;p) paint job. Was a beautiful white onyx, now its garnett (she is a big fan of University of South Carolina)
Mine is a deep iris metallic clear coat, pinkish red pink

Clif_SC

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Welcome to this forum! Check the stock 1995 - 2001 Explorer section, and the A/C & heater section for information.
Thanks will do! The AC is being put off till closer to warm weather, since this is not a daily driver yet, I can wait. I guarantee I will be scouring the forums, including that one

Clif_SC

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Mine is a deep iris metallic clear coat, pinkish red pink
I will put some pics up sometime this weekend (hopefully) I may even start a thread for progress

GingeRed11

Reaction score
City, State
Northwest Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
I will put some pics up sometime this weekend (hopefully) I may even start a thread for progress
That sounds awesome, I actually have a picture of it over on my registry, it's pretty recent

Clif_SC

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not bad looking at all. I have a 96 Explorer. I need to get pictures of mine and get them up here also.
I am not gonna lie, I liked the White better. Also, regarding your tagline... I have both a jeep and now the explorer

WormsExplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4.0 ohv auto
I am not gonna lie, I liked the White better. Also, regarding your tagline... I have both a jeep and now the explorer

I am in a Club here in Colorado and they are all about the Jeeps. I want to be different so I drive an Explorer. :) Started out with a 78 Blazer then a 92 Bronco and now I down sized to an Explorer.