New to the 2017 FPIU - Help needed.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to the 2017 FPIU - Help needed..

noslwb

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer PIU
Hello, I am completely new to the community, I just purchased a used 2017 Ford Explorer PIU earlier today. It came with the standard key, no key fobs or anything else.
I would like to know what I can do to modify things in the vehicle if ever needed.
I‘d love to start with getting a key fob, I ordered the necessary one for this model of PIU, The lock, unlock and blue hatch button.. and now my main concern is getting access to the things needed to be able to program it from home.
I have read some threads, and multiple people say that you need IDS which is needed for enabling RKE, Forscan for modifying other stuff and a VCM2 to connect to the vehicle?
I have no idea how any of this stuff works.. my main concern is enabling RKE which is all I really need at this moment. I don’t see the point of paying a dealer lots of money just to enable RKE, and if anything I would love to just have the tools at home if for any reason I need them.
If anyone can help me understand where I can get the tools/tech to be able to use IDS, like where I can purchase a cheap VCM2 and laptop to run IDS, and honestly whatever is needed to work on my first ever car, I would truly appreciate you so much.
Also what is Forscan, what and how can/do I use it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So i have found something’s online, there is a tool which is like a VCM2 clone, and they provide the IDS software, i would try it but after buying my car, I have like practically no money whatsoever.
This is the link for the device VXDIAG VCX NANO Ford IDS V128/Mazda IDS V128 USB Interface
I personally am not going to try it, I just purchased a device to work with Forscan, and am just gonna ask around if anyone has access to ids and can help program the key fob, or if anything just see how much a dealer would charge. But in any case, if you guys have any recommendations for these things let me know!

With all due respect, much of this has been covered many times.

The long and the short of this....you need IDS to program the vehicle with the 48 digit codes inside the remote fobs for a '16 or later. Forscan cannot do this. My dealer did this for me. I only had one other use for IDS, which was to get a hood switch recognized.

For Forscan, you need an adapter. There is a list of preferred adapters on the Forscan site. Finally, a license for Forscan. When you start with Forscan, be sure to save a back up and only make one change at a time. You can get into big trouble if something goes wrong.

And like MattMPA eluded to, read the forums. Many, if not all, of the things you mentioned have been solved and/or explained already. You can find the search function in the upper-right of the page.

Have fun! And welcome to the forum!

With all due respect, much of this has been covered many times.

The long and the short of this....you need IDS to program the vehicle with the 48 digit codes inside the remote fobs for a '16 or later. Forscan cannot do this. My dealer did this for me. I only had one other use for IDS, which was to get a hood switch recognized.

For Forscan, you need an adapter. There is a list of preferred adapters on the Forscan site. Finally, a license for Forscan. When you start with Forscan, be sure to save a back up and only make one change at a time. You can get into big trouble if something goes wrong.
Yes, I know I need IDS, I stated that and was only wondering if there were anyways I could get access to those things at home for cheaper, so that if any problems were to arise, I wouldn’t have to depend on a dealer to do it for me. Sorry for my terrible sentencing, I was up until 3AM doing lots of research.. but thanks again, I understand the general things now. Thank you!

And like MattMPA eluded to, read the forums. Many, if not all, of the things you mentioned have been solved and/or explained already. You can find the search function in the upper-right of the page.

Have fun! And welcome to the forum!
Yeah, sorry about that.. I was very tired and just wanted some help finding if I can get IDS and other tools to work on it from home.. But thank you! I hope we can all help each other out.

So i have found something’s online, there is a tool which is like a VCM2 clone, and they provide the IDS software, i would try it but after buying my car, I have like practically no money whatsoever.
This is the link for the device VXDIAG VCX NANO Ford IDS V128/Mazda IDS V128 USB Interface
I personally am not going to try it, I just purchased a device to work with Forscan, and am just gonna ask around if anyone has access to ids and can help program the key fob, or if anything just see how much a dealer would charge. But in any case, if you guys have any recommendations for these things let me know!

I got the VXDiag to use IDS for programming a remote for my PIU. I do not trust the software; my browser and antivirus both flagged it. I ended up using a virtual machine on my laptop in order to use it. It works, for what it's worth, but a ton of hassle. My local dealership wanted to charge $200 to program and ended up saying they couldn't program it because these cars don't have PATS. So it was my only option for programming the key short of jumping around to a bunch of dealerships and wasting lots of time/money.

Also for Forscan, you do not need to purchase a license. You can keep using the free trial and requesting a trial again once it expires again. Even with the same information/email.

My local dealership wanted to charge $200 to program and ended up saying they couldn't program it because these cars don't have PATS
Yeah this is what i'm afraid of! I guess I will try using the VXDiag, and hope things go well. Thanks for the reply, this is what i was looking for essentially. The next step is to find a cheap laptop.. How does it all work in the end? Do I need a laptop with cd or is program downloadable online? Thanks again!

Mine were programmed without incident at the dealer. Had nothing to do with PATS. Then again, I ordered and bought the fobs at the dealer too. So many people these days (present company excluded) want to buy everything on-line and then expect a dealer to jump through hoops for free. It costs a fortune to run a service department.

Let's say the dealer did charge $200. What the "cheap laptop" and software going to cost? If you brick your BCM - what will that cost?

Forscan. Download from the Forscan site and pay the license. It's cheap and supports those that developed the program.

Mine were programmed without incident at the dealer. Had nothing to do with PATS. Then again, I ordered and bought the fobs at the dealer too. So many people these days (present company excluded) want to buy everything on-line and then expect a dealer to jump through hoops for free. It costs a fortune to run a service department.

Let's say the dealer did charge $200. What the "cheap laptop" and software going to cost? If you brick your BCM - what will that cost?

Forscan. Download from the Forscan site and pay the license. It's cheap and supports those that developed the program.
Sadly, the license isn't purchasable. They're based in Russia. But yes, I agree. Use Forscan. What you can't use Forscan for, go to the dealer or another reputable shop that has IDS.

This is true, I agree I am getting too ahead of myself here.. Just a rush of emotions for me at the moment. I apologize.

Sadly, the license isn't purchasable. They're based in Russia. But yes, I agree. Use Forscan. What you can't use Forscan for, go to the dealer or another reputable shop that has IDS.
Yeah, I will try my best to do so. Thank you

Yeah, I will try my best to do so. Thank you
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Best of luck.

Peter

I didn't realize the licenses were unavailable. In fact, I'm surprised to hear that. I seem to recall a short time when that was the case, but thought it was straightened out. Regardless, you can't use Forscan to make the key fobs work.

Hello, I am completely new to the community, I just purchased a used 2017 Ford Explorer PIU earlier today. It came with the standard key, no key fobs or anything else.

HOLD IT RIGHT THERE! Put DOWN the key, and step away from the vehicle!

When you say "standard" key, that makes me think that your FPIU is like so many, without an ignition immobilizer.

An immobilizer is NOT the same as the remote control system that does things when you push buttons on a fob. The ignition immobilizer sends a radio pulse to a sensor at the lock (where the key goes), and a small transponder circuit (in the key or fob) replies with a code. If the car computer has that code programmed into it, the car can be started.

Many (most?) FPIUs do NOT have this, so that the fleet can be shared between officers. If yours doesn't, then IDS won't help you, so spending money on it still won't make it happen.

I believe that ForScan will tell you if your FPIU will work with a fob -- I haven't looked, so search and scan here for more info about that. Other than buying a dongle to work with ForScan, you should stop spending money until you know whether it will do you any good.

When you say "standard" key, that makes me think that your FPIU is like so many, without an ignition immobilizer.

An immobilizer is NOT the same as the remote control system that does things when you push buttons on a fob. The ignition immobilizer sends a radio pulse to a sensor at the lock (where the key goes), and a small transponder circuit (in the key or fob) replies with a code. If the car computer has that code programmed into it, the car can be started.

Many (most?) FPIUs do NOT have this, so that the fleet can be shared between officers. If yours doesn't, then IDS won't help you, so spending money on it still won't make it happen.

I believe that ForScan will tell you if your FPIU will work with a fob -- I haven't looked, so search and scan here for more info about that. Other than buying a dongle to work with ForScan, you should stop spending money until you know whether it will do you any good.
My understanding is that the equipment to make that work is behind the ignition, just not hooked up. Is that accurate, or no?

My understanding is that the equipment to make that work is behind the ignition, just not hooked up. Is that accurate, or no?
The only way to know is to check. My 2017 doesn't have the loop. And I'm not sure what you might need besides the loop, if you wanted it to work.

The only way to know is to check. My 2017 doesn't have the loop. And I'm not sure what you might need besides the loop, if you wanted it to work.
Okay. Thanks for the info.

There is no PATS system in a FPIU. This is to make key sharing/replacement easier for fleet vehicles.

If you are trying to set up keyless entry in a 2016 and later utility, you 100%, absolutely, no-doubt-about-it need IDS either at the dealer or from a third party. You cannot program the fobs with Forscan. Period.

There is a 48 digit code in each fob that needs to be programmed via IDS to the vehicle. With all due respect, this is the correct info and it's frustrating to answer with the right info over and over. I researched this, and got my '16 working in the manner described.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back