City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB
Hello all,

Happy to have found this site!

Allow me to introduce my self & truck.

Truck: 2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer edition
4.6 V8, 175,000 km, 4x4, auto, green with tan extirior trim & tan leather inside.

I live in Brantford,Ontario, Canada. General machinist 35 years old. Not new to forums, over the years I have been a very active member of SCCoO(Super Coupe Club of Ontario).

Looking forward to meeting the locals near me & learning many things about this truck I purchased last August.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.

Nice to know there's another member close by! I've got a similar truck, and am an hour up the 403/401 from you in London. Welcome aboard, and hope your truck is good to you!

I do have a few smalle issues I have been chasing.

First off there seems to be an electrical issue with door locks/alarm. When putting it into drive, sometimes the doors will lock,unlock,lock with the door chime also going off. On the same days that this happens the alarm will go off for no reason, like last nigh at 2am.

Second is a small coolant was developed this week. It's dripping from the pass side, looks like it's from the AC canister, it's wrapped in a foam that is like sponge.

Third problem my wife just told me about. Drivers window when she pushes the auto down, the window wants to keep going down once it's fully down.

I need to pick up a shop manual to have a "map" of things before I start to open any if tues up.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas! Is there a Ontario chapter, or Toronto club for these trucks?

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

Be sure to check out the 3rd Gen Sub Forums:

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers
Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers
Questions related to modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. For Sport Trac and Sport models use the 1995-2001 forum. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

Happy Exploring! :biggthump

Third problem my wife just told me about. Drivers window when she pushes the auto down, the window wants to keep going down once it's fully down.

Ryan, I'd think a nice stiff-bristled toothbrush MAY work for this problem. Just give a cleaning to the switch, and it should be good. You may need to remove it from the door panel first. If the loose panel surrounding my window switches is any indication (BAD previous owner! BAD!) then it should pop vertically off of the armrest moulding. BE CAREFUL or you'll end up like my truck - spring-loaded switch mount!

Back