• Register Today It's free!

New to the Forum

Franc Balistrieri

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have 2003 4.0L SOHC V6 with 242K . noise from the timing chain area. Repair shops diagnosed either tensioner, cassettes, or timing chain. 2 shops recommended replace with rebuilt engine. I'm thinking replace tensioner, first, if not that problematic . any thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

estimate is $2200 Plus..... i get the feeling they really do not want to pull the engine. from my research on this site, its' recommended to install a rebuilt. Also, some threads seem to indicate the tensioner maybe easily replaced if you get a little lucky with -I think the right side... will ask the shop to diagnosis further. worse case, drive until she stops and get a new engine ????

Welcome Franc. My wife's 99 Sport has the timing chain rattle only on cold start up, what I do when I start it is I will crank it a little & release the key so it doesn't start. I do that 2-3 times & then start it & usually there is almost no noise.

will do... At 242K miles, were going to keep her for the 3rd car... you know, the times you need an extra set of wheels .... Looking into purchasing my next auto...

BTW.... this forum was excellent with helping me make the decision ... thank you

Back