New to this Forum... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to this Forum...

Hi to everyone here. I'm new to this forum site, I have a 2000 Ford Ranger, I decided to take the emblems off of the sides and tailgate. When i got the first emblem off accidentally breaking it in half, i seen three holes behind it, one of which is 3/8 inch wide. I got mad about this, but seeing how there was pretty much no return from this point, I bought some liquid metal filler and filled the holes. Turned out really solid, then I used Bondo to help it out the rest of the way. Took the time to sand it down, and went to far to the bare metal, so I used primer to seal it in, now i ordered paint and clear coat from the factory, and i have to sand the primer down and paint it. Looking for any tips that can help to get the paint matched up and look like it was always that way...any help will be great, and thanks in advanced to any help... :)

Welcome! Let the addiction begin!

There's a place for paint question in teh "body work" section of the site. If a moderator sees this they may be able to move it for you and you'll get more hits.

As for the painting, 8 years is plenty of time for any paint to fade, so it may look a tad different, as in the shades may not match perfectly... You could try to blend it in, like sanding where you need the paint down, and then feathering it into the other paint. But if it's "black" like your name suggests, then I would just worry more about bodywork then the paint. Black has a tendency to show any imperfections if they're present, especially when a clear coat is involved.

Welcome to this forum! It seems like only the American cars have problems with paint fading. Take a look at some old Mercedes, and Volvos. I've seen some with the original paint which still look like new. A friend of mine has an 88 Volvo, never waxes or cleans it, and the paint still looks like it did many years ago.

Hi to everyone here. I'm new to this forum site, I have a 2000 Ford Ranger, I decided to take the emblems off of the sides and tailgate. When i got the first emblem off accidentally breaking it in half, i seen three holes behind it, one of which is 3/8 inch wide. I got mad about this, but seeing how there was pretty much no return from this point, I bought some liquid metal filler and filled the holes. Turned out really solid, then I used Bondo to help it out the rest of the way. Took the time to sand it down, and went to far to the bare metal, so I used primer to seal it in, now i ordered paint and clear coat from the factory, and i have to sand the primer down and paint it. Looking for any tips that can help to get the paint matched up and look like it was always that way...any help will be great, and thanks in advanced to any help... :)

I hate to bear bad news, but your going to have to start all over. First, you need either tiger hair or just weld up (recomended) those holes. To place plastic filler (Bondo as you called it) on your car, you have to have a clean bare metal survance. Some people put primer on the bare metal before body working it. Other wise, it is going to let go. I'm going to move this thread over to the body work section for you to help you get some better tips.

Back