New to towing, Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New to towing, Question

Hello, This will be my first real experience with towing and I have a couple questions. My wife and I are thinking of buying a small travel trailer. It’s a 19ft model that weighs around 3600 - 3800 lbs. loaded up, its 3400 dry. I have a 2003 explorer 4.0L. It has a class 3 hitch and trailer braking system installed. After seeing the upgraded hitch I figured it had the towing package and figured we were good to go. Well after doing more research and checking the door code I’m pretty sure I have the 3.55 gears. I verified it has a trans cooler and the hitch is rated to 8000 Lbs. We live in FL so there will be little to no hills involved. I also plan to get the load balancing hitch and anti-sway setup. Will this vehicle work to tow that trailer?

Thanks in advance :)

First, welcome to the forum.

I think it will work, you are possibly on the edge of your capacity with the weight and frontal area of the camper. I think on flat land, not in a hurry you will be fine. Watch out on windy days, my experience is side winds make driving in open areas a challenge.

The max trailer capacity of the 4.0L with the 3.55's is right in the middle of your expected "loaded weight" but as Evan said, as long as your primarily on flat ground and not trying to do 80mph on the freeway you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

As a precaution, if you or the wife own an smartphone that runs Android you can buy a $5 App and a $20 Bluetooth adapter (Torque App link in my signature) and read the transmission case temp and fluid temp so at least you will feel safe that you can monitor everything since your maxing out your truck.

If you have never towed before, backing will be fun. Go to a parking lot and practice. Put 1 hand at the bottom of the wheel. Which ever way you want the trailer to go, move your hand in that direction. this is the easiest way Ive found to teach people to reverse a trailer.

Back