• Register Today It's free!

New trans thing.

Masterd

Reaction score
City, State
Upland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport
Ive noticed for a while that when my '93 A4LD goes into OD, if I let off the gas and get back on it, it slips out of OD, then goes right back in. Any ideas?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What exactly are you referring to when you say "OD" in this case? Technically OD refers to 4th gear, but many people, for whatever reason, will use OD to refer to the torque converter lockup clutch (TCC). I don't think 4th gear should behave as you're describing, but it would be normal for the TCC tobehave like that. TCC is disengaged at closed throttle, and it can take a moment for it to re-engage after applying the throttle again.

I think it must be the lockup. Whichever gear brings the revs real low when going 55+.

I don't know that one can say that either one is solely responsible for lowering the engine RPM. We need to decide for sure which effect we're talking about.
Does the same effect exist with the selector in D? 4th gear is disabled in D, but TCC lockup can still occur in 3rd gear.

Well say at 70 my RPM's are at 2000 after the last shift. I have to give it significant gas to get a gear one its in that state. When I let off the gas, and then re apply, the tach is up for a second then back in that final gear.

Upon further investigation, I only can get the TCC to lock at 50+ in regular D.

When I let off the throttle all is fine, but upon re application of throttle, it tachs up and bit then drops back into the 2000 rpm.

I dont know if this is the TCC locking which drops the revs significantly, or is 4th gear. whichever drops the revs at the last shift.

No but it seems like that would fix my prolbme of it being hard to get a gear while cruising.

Back