• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

New Truck, any suggestions?

Jonny813

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
Hey everyone. My truck just hit 145K miles and still has alot of life in her, but I want to get looking for a new truck. Basically, I want to hear opinions/experince with these, and pros/cons. This will be my first Truck, trading in from a 98 X Sport.

Budget ~$15000 (Currently)

In order of preferance:
(No matter what, the truck I pick has to be Ext/Crew Cab, V6, 4x4, Shortbed)

Toyota Tacoma - Can't find very many in my price range
Nissan Frontier - Ditto
Ford X Sport Trac - Very very few 4x4's around here
Dodge Dakota - Cant find Ext Cab 4x4 with the right miles for right price
Ford F-150 - For my options... Very expensive F-150's
Ford Ranger Edge - All options, and still money left over with low low miles

Usages, daily driver, with minor mudding/offroading/camping.

Thanks for reading!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

dmasini

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I think for the price the Ranger is probably your best bet. Second up is the Frontier which personally I like but I don't know the dependability of them. Seen a lot of 02's and 03's around here for $14 and $15k.

Your gonna be hard-pressed to find a Tacoma under $16k with the options you want but I hear they're one of the most dependable. The Dakota seems to be in the same range of the Tacoma, maybe a grand cheaper in some instances but not really in your price range with the options you want.

So IMO I'd say stick with what you know and find a Ranger (it's basically an Explorer with a bed) or do some research into the Frontier. If anyone knows anything about the Frontier please post as I'd like to know more about it myself. I'm assuming it's got the same guts the Xterra does and I hear the Xterra isn't that trail-worthy...

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
dmasini said:
I hear the Xterra isn't that trail-worthy...

Not to get off topic, but I've heard the same thing, and it surprised me, considering the rugged look and the way they promote it. I wonder if there's any base to these rumors.

Anyway, I agree with dmasini. The Tacoma is known for being dependable, but like you said, it's going to be tough to find one in that price range. I'd go Ranger as well, or its Mazda sister truck, if the price is right.

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
RANGER based on your price range.
Spend a little more and get the toya or the sport trac
the frontier is a nice nice truck

Whichever you decide get the biggest engine and get it fully loaded.
Ranger edge should have 4.10 gears if you can find one, same with a 4x4 sport trac.
Good luck finding a 4x4 sport trac for $15K though...

BigDave!!!

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 2WD
go with the edge, they are very inexpensive, look good, and the left over money will be able to buy quite a bit of accessories that will better fit your needs.

Jonny813

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
Thanks for all the responces!

Ya, I know the Toyota is a little out there for what I want, I would have to save up a little more cash to get it, but I think its my "top choice".

There are a couple Sport Trac's around here for the very top of my price range with 60-70K miles though, so I don't think its the best investment for me.

Dakota, pretty much the same problem with the Sport Trac, not as severe though. I can find them with around 50K miles for around $14k, 4x4, ext, 3.9L.

Nissans, I hear they are as dependable as the others and from what I've seen they can handle their own off road. Very hard to find the options I want though.

Finally, the Ranger, I like them, girlfriend hates them but that doesn't really matter. I also like the fact that they are basically X but with a bed so I can put my know-how to work on them to. I do think I will end up with one, the only thing I dont like compared to everything else on my list... The god damn Electric 4x4 Switch... Hate the damn thing. That motor always broke on me with my X.

Again thanks for all the advice. One of the leading preferences is color to, so I'm crossing my finger for a black truck. Probably wont be purchasing till after Christmas so I can save up a little more and the Christmas bonus!

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
4.0L SOHC 5 speed edge with BW e shift t case is the way to go! The T case in that sucker looks just like our old 1354.

Dont let the shift motor scare you, they last a long time and can be rebuilt for free.

If thats the worst problem you have with a truck, then IMO you got a great truck.