New tsb for Roof noise while raining | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New tsb for Roof noise while raining

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
TSB
12-2-7 TIN ROOF NOISE - FRONT ROOF AREA DURING RAIN - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/5/2011

Publication Date: February 10, 2012

FORD: 2011-2012 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011-2012 Explorer vehicles built on or before 11/5/2011 may exhibit a noise similar to rain hitting a tin roof. The noise is coming from the front passenger compartment.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove both sun visor screw covers and allow both visors to hang down.
Install shop towels or equivalent directly beneath the foam insertion points to protect the interior of the vehicle.
Using Fusor® 121 flexible foam repair kit.
Install a mixing tip onto the expandable foam cartridge.
Attach a 15.24 cm (6") piece of 0.635 cm (1/4") ID x 0.952 cm (3/8") OD (max) rubber tubing to the mixing tip.
Secure the rubber tubing to the mixing tip with a cable tie, tape or clamp. (Figure 1)

Figure 1 - Article 12-2-7

NOTE: ONCE THE PRODUCT STARTS MIXING IN THE MIXING TIP YOU NEED TO WORK VERY QUICKLY.

Starting on the left side of the vehicle.
Locate the square opening on the rearward side of the sun visor mounting cup. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 12-2-7

Insert rubber tubing all the way into this opening while curving the tubing toward the center of the vehicle. (Figures 3 and 4)

Figure 3 - Article 12-2-7

Figure 4 - Article 12-2-7

Pull the handle enough to fill the mixing tube. Once full, pull the handle an additional three (3) times.
Withdraw the hose 25 mm (1"), then pull the handle two (2) times. Repeat this four (4) more times, withdrawing the hose 25 mm (1") each time.
Repeat on the right side of vehicle using new mixing tube and rubber tubing.
Allow the product to fully cure following manufacturers recommendations.
After curing, remove any excess foam that may be in the sun visor mounting cup.
Remove protection from vehicle interior.
Install sun visor assemblies and install the two (2) sun visor screws.
Install the sun visor screw covers.
This procedure will improve, but may not eliminate the noise entirely.

Locally Obtained Supplies
Part Number Description
121 Fusor® 121 flexible foam repair kit
N/A Cable Tie
N/A Tape
N/A Clamp
N/A Rubber Hose 0.635 cm (1/4") ID x 0.952 cm (3/8") OD"

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120207A 2011-2012 Explorer: Install Foam Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.5 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7850202 68

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You come through again!

Awesome, thanks! This is the one thing the dealership told me they couldn't fix because they didn't have any procedures on it. Since they've already had the car for 2 weeks fixing everything else, I just sent the service adviser this TSB. Thanks again.

This is great!
Although I can see the dealers saying: "we will have to to drive it ourselves during rainy conditions to replicate the issue, otherwise we can't fix it".
It's crazy to think they are allowed only 30 minutes to complete the whole procedure!

OK. As luck will have it. Its been raining all week and its been bugging the crap out of me....I will definitely mention it to the dealer next week and request for them to use a water hose to duplicate the sound. I'm tired of them putting miles on my truck.

Thanks so much for posting this. I would really like to hear from someone who has it done. Any time they take something apart inside the truck, I fear develpment of a new rattle that is even more irritating. I'd like to make sure the improvement is worth the risk.

Thanks again.

"Get some foam, pull down the sun visor, shove the tube in the mounting hole, put crap in the cavity."

Why it took Ford over a year to come up with that as a fix is beyond me, that's what we've been saying to do for that entire period of time.

Ford knew what to do a year ago about it, they just outsourced the writing of the TSB to India, that's what took a year to complete.

They just published this tsb today so the dealers have not done any yet.

Sounds like it's time to get the pinging fixed, along with the A pillar noise.

Ford comes through again.

This is the same process done to my X many months ago by a professional body man when he removed the dents caused by a hail storm.

You may wonder why I did not wait for Ford. They had to take the head liner down to do the hail damage and I decided it was the best time to fill the cavity area with foam. I really want to give this web site the credit for the suggestions. Sorry I can't remember who made the suggestion but it worked.

Thanks and I have enjoyed many hours of driving in hard rain without hearing the drummer boy.:)

Would recommend the TSB fix to all 2011/2012 X owners.

Anyone that gets this done please post your experience. FYI another thing to try is getting the clear paint protection film and apply over the exterior area. I did this with mine a year ago and I think is lessens the sound though not 100% curing the problem. www.clearmask.com and order a custom piece of the thicker film (send a request to them as its not a stock item).

+1

I've had it done but it hasn't rained since...i do notice less of a hollow sound when tapping on it so hope it sounds better when it rains now.

I've had it done but it hasn't rained since...i do notice less of a hollow sound when tapping on it so hope it sounds better when it rains now.

Pleae be sure to give us feedback when it rains. Did you have any mess or damage due to the repair procedure?

Thanks

no i didn't notice any mess or over spray or anything. and i didn't notice a smell because my truck was at the dealerhips for a few days, so i'm not sure if they did it early in the visit and let it sit for a couple of days or what.....

Back