New upper/lower balljoints; tie rod ends, still loose over bumps. Suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New upper/lower balljoints; tie rod ends, still loose over bumps. Suggestions?

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
Stock '99 5.0 Limited AWD with over 200k.
After replacing a broken d/s sway bar link several months ago, I decided that it was time to tighten up the front end (200k+, it was time to give the steering/suspension components a little attention).
As I figured, the upper and lower balljoints were pretty sloppy. The outer tie rod ends weren't bad, but while I was in there, I figured they could use replacement as well.
After replacing both sides' upper/lower balljoints and outer tie rod ends, and getting an alignment, it's tighter, but still has a bit of a loose 'clunk' over bumps. Similar sound/feeling that the broken sway bar link made, but not as severe. Minimal play in the steering, so it's nice and tight.
They are the original shocks, and I'm considering them to be the culprit, but is there anything else that I should look at?

Re: shocks for the AWD with the rear load leveling system-
Are replacement shocks unique to this system and therefore pricey?

Thanks in advance,
J.P.

Control arm bushings?
Did the alignment shop fully tighten down the camber adjusting ( upper control arm) bolts? You might think this is a silly question but I have seen them work loose.

Also, the brake pads will be loose with no pedal force. If the anti rattle springs are gone they will make a bit of noise

sway links

its probably the other sway link if its an oem change it, the bushings are hard and will clunk with a little wear.

Back