New/Used Ford Explorer Purchase, which option? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New/Used Ford Explorer Purchase, which option?

Tigertas32

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
So, here's the story. We used to have a 2016 Ford Explorer sport. My wife drove it and loved it. She is a Ford fan. Now with the used car market the way it is, I decided to sell it and get almost what I paid for it, but I ended up buying a 2021.5 VW Atlas 2.0T SEL Premium. It has everything the Ford had plus new options. Well, my wife doesn't like it, so 5 months later (Today), I am in the process of finding her a new Ford Explorer. Here are my options that I was able to find.

1. New 2021 Ford Explorer Limited Hybrid - Courtesy Vehicle - 2500mi - MSRP $55705 - Selling Price - $50735 - They sell it as new, so I get the rebate plus they have $$ off for being a courtesy vehicle

2. Used 2020 Ford Explorer ST - 32500mi - MSRP $59520 - Selling price - $50939

They are basically the same selling price but you can see one is new and the other has over 30k miles. I would probably buy the extended warranty from Joel for either purchase. We only drive 8k miles a year.

Just reaching out to everyone to see what their thoughts are, since you all are the best about things like this. TIA.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn’t buy one of these used, or past it’s warranty period.

I wouldn’t buy one of these used, or past it’s warranty period.
The used one is not past the warranty period. And the extended warranty should take care of most stuff in the powertrain. We have had pretty good success with our previous Ford products (2016 Ford Explorer Sport and 2011 Ford Edge Sport).

The ST is just so much fun to drive, but I am not will or wanting to spend full MSRP on new. The Limited Hybrid is like driving a minivan.

32k miles on an ST is still going for 50k?? Thats outrageous! Thats practically what I paid for my Platinum new 6 months ago. Didnt think the used car market was still this crazy high. I would just wait it out instead.

It seems like you need to search a wider area to get what you want, an ST with lower miles and/or lower price, or wait it out.

EXCEPT, look at the bigger picture here! The wife was unhappy so the solution to regain happiness is for her to pick, not us.

32k miles on an ST is still going for 50k?? Thats outrageous! Thats practically what I paid for my Platinum new 6 months ago. Didnt think the used car market was still this crazy high. I would just wait it out instead.
Pre-owned inventory is low in many places. I just check my dealerships inventory and they have a 2002 Lincoln Continental, a 2016 & 2018 Escape and a 2003 Kettle Creek Bumper Pull, whatever that is. 1200 miles on it. Horse trailer?
Just checked AutoTrader.ca (the U.S. site is down) and they are asking $65,658 CDN ($52,720 USD) for a 2020 ST with 8700 miles on it.

Peter

Last edited:

Pre-owned inventory is low in many places. I just check my dealerships inventory and they have a 2002 Lincoln Continental, a 2016 & 2018 Escape and a 2003 Kettle Creek Bumper Pull, whatever that is. 1200 miles on it. Horse trailer?
Just checked AutoTrader.ca (the U.S. site is down) and they are asking $65,658 CDN ($52,720 USD) for a 2020 ST with 8700 miles on it.

Peter
Yeah just saw nearby me as well, I thought the used car pricing was cooling off already by now. For an Explorer ST under 10k miles, its closer to mid 50's on my area. Thats insane.

Yeah just saw nearby me as well, I thought the used car pricing was cooling off already by now. For an Explorer ST under 10k miles, its closer to mid 50's on my area. Thats insane.
Yes, used cars here in Southern California are premium. New cars on dealer lots are +$3k-$5k MSRP.

Yeah with used car prices, I’d be looking new. Very similar prices and at least it’s new. Reach out to dealers to see what offers you can get with custom orders. I got under invoice doing so my 22 ST I ordered.

The used one is not past the warranty period. And the extended warranty should take care of most stuff in the powertrain. We have had pretty good success with our previous Ford products (2016 Ford Explorer Sport and 2011 Ford Edge Sport).

The ST is just so much fun to drive, but I am not will or wanting to spend full MSRP on new. The Limited Hybrid is like driving a minivan.
These are buggy, problematic vehicles. I wouldn’t want one so new that someone was dumping because I’d assume it had problems. Read up here on the buybacks members have gotten before dropping that cash.

I would look for new, and let your wife pick it because she going to be driving it. Back in May I paid 51K for a new 21 ST

I was talking with a police officer this past weekend - her patrol unit is a hybrid. She hates it. Apparently it gets VERY confused about what to pick at lower speeds - battery or gas, and is most annoying. Having said that, I would like a V6 turbo, but dang! They're damned expensive!! I am finding that a firm hand, er foot, bypasses some of the transmission aggravation in my Limited.

I would look for new, and let your wife pick it because she going to be driving it. Back in May I paid 51K for a new 21 ST
Of course we need the moonroof and st street (or the black rims). But not necessarily. Just looking at all the sites, cars, truecar, gurus, carfax, fordblue, etc, just looking at lowest price of a 2020 ST, I can get the performance package and the black wheels for the same price as without. Just around $50k. New ST can be had around $51k without the extras.

If you want a sunroof and the street pack, figure on adding about 2800 to the sticker price just for those two options. Ask yourself, do you really need a sunroof, are you ever going to use it? The wife and I have had a sunroof in every vehicle we purchased in the last 20 years and never used one of them. I got lucky and found a new ST without one. The salesman tried to talk me into getting a sunroof as they were easier to find, but I told him I never used them, and if I wanted wind in my hair, I have a convertible for that.

In the end its your money, buy what you want. But for me, if I was spending 50K+ on a vehicle, I'm not buying someone else's headache, I'm getting new. And a lot of the 2020's had problems as it was the first year of a new model. Never buy a first year of any car new or used.

Go for the ST, even the BMW drivers and Mercedes Benz drivers are starting to know not to mess with the ST model.

I am now thinking about buying a new ST with no options. Maybe the Ford Copilot Assist +. That's really all I think is necessary. I don't even need the black rims (just looks cooler). It's hard to search on Ford unless you know zip codes because it only searches out as far as 100 miles. I found 2 that match.

The only thing I may be missing is the hands free lift gate. Unless someone wants to talk me out of that too.

You are right about the moonroof. Never use it. The only time it was used in our old ford was during christmas and having the kids hang out the top. It's Socal (60 degrees at night)

So looking now at some base ST and I have couple of questions.

1. Does the ST come with ventilated seats? Or do I need package 401A?
2. When looking at a 400A window sticker vs one with 401A, the seats say Ebony with Miko inserts. THe 401A says Ebony leather. What's the deal here? I thought all ST came with Ebony leather.

Update: Just looked it up and these 400A are Enthusiast ST (entry level). Wife really likes ventilated seats.

Moonroofs are always an individual choice. I wouldn't have a vehicle without one. It really seems to 'open' up the interior with light. I also find it nice to have when the temperature doesn't actually require A/C and you can fully open it up. On all the vehicles I've had with one, the shade has never been closed.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Moonroofs are always an individual choice. I wouldn't have a vehicle without one. It really seems to 'open' up the interior with light. I also find it nice to have when the temperature doesn't actually require A/C and you can fully open it up. On all the vehicles I've had with one, the shade has never been closed.

Peter
I absolutely agree. It’s a must for me. Like you said, they open things up. Kids love it! It’s so refreshing to let air in on a cool fall day. Allows me to have some form of “window” open even when my wife is cold lol

Back