New User Adjustable Software for the X-calibrator from SCT... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New User Adjustable Software for the X-calibrator from SCT...

Doug904

Sponsor
Reaction score
City, State
Jasper, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Roush GT
Hey guys,

It's finally out! The user end adjustable software from SCT. You can make adjustments to your gear/tire size, rev and rpm limiter, a/f ratio and idle/part throttle/ and top end, idle speed, timing, transmission shifts and even converter lock up functions!

If you have a tuner then you will need to purchase a programming cable, $40.If you need any files just let me know and I can email them to you.

If you buy a X-calibrator from me the cable is included in the $375 price along with three programs and I will send you all of them including your base in an email.

This should make for alot easier tuning and adjustments for you guys!

Here's the link to download the free software...

http://www.sctflash.com/xtreme.php

thanks, Doug904

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate you, good stuff right before christmas. I need to shoot you an email with a few questions I have about this product. I'm trying to get into the 13's (low 14's now) with just nitrous and this could be the key :)

does it change the speedo also? are the shofting point changed by u or me? how would i know where to change the shifting point...rpm? what u mean by converter lockups? now, i am interested just ot get my explorer drive better with 33s and 4.10 gear ratio.

swak6287 said:
does it change the speedo also? are the shofting point changed by u or me? how would i know where to change the shifting point...rpm? what u mean by converter lockups? now, i am interested just ot get my explorer drive better with 33s and 4.10 gear ratio.

It changes the tire RPM's in the PCM. You actually select the tire size you have and then it will enter it into the program once you save the settings. You can adjust the shift points entered into your programming by adjust the graph.

You can adjust the time in which the torque converter locks and unlocks depending on MPH. On a relitively stock vehicle you shouldn't mess with this but on a vehicle with a stall converter this makes a difference.

You can use this program with both the Blue Micro Tuner and the X-calibrator, my bad. I've corrected this in the first post too.

Thanks, Doug

Doug, does the software also work with the blue tuner ( 9100 )?

Thanks....

aldive said:
Doug, does the software also work with the blue tuner ( 9100 )?

Thanks....

Yes sir it does, the only requirement would be for you to purchase a programming cable to upload the new files to your tuner. Email me for a great price on one as it's too low to advertise as per the rules.

Here's a screen shot of the new software using a CTD1 cal code....

Quick Tune Software Screen Shot

Thanks, Doug.

if you bougt this would you need a tuner to reflash the computer or is this capiable of it

Billy177 said:
if you bougt this would you need a tuner to reflash the computer or is this capiable of it

This is software that is used with the tuner. This allows the user to tune a little bit on the actual performance programs they purchase from the dealer. No need to return the tuner to get a reburn for different gears or tire sizes or make a small adjustment to rev limiters. You can even adjust the a/f ratio a bit if you were to goto the dyno. So yes, you would need to purchase a tuner and programming cable for the tuner, which come together as a package when your the X-calibrator from me for $375 or it is $50 extra if you buy a blue Micro Tuner.

Thanks, Doug904.

hhmm... is that a screen on the PC or the adjuster for the car? in other words, do u have to adjust using a home comp[uter?

I've been watching this thread with interest and I've got a few questions:

1) Does this allow the tuner to email non-user adjustable 'tweeks' to the tune for download (or upload...whatever it's called) into the scanner? ie; say something wasn't working out exactly the way you wanted it with the original tune and it wasn't something that could be corrected with the end user adjustable software......like maybe a mistake in the original tune or maybe a future mod that requires the tuner to change the tune. If so, then it is possible to change the programming via email so it wouldn't be necessary to ship the scanner back and forth.

2) Do either (or both) the blue scanner or the X-calibrator read diagnosic OBDII trouble codes?

3) What are the major differences between the blue scanner and the X-calibrator? And what are the difference in prices...It would seem that since both have end user adjustable software, as long as you buy it with the cable there's not much of a difference.

Lee

good questions... i was wondering the same

So with this new software program, what can the home shop mechanic do in his garage? What cannot be done with it unless your on a dyno that has the capibility to measure A/F such as a lambda wideband A/F test?

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume this won't work for OBDI?

Great questions guys, let me take them one at a time....

swak6287

Yes, that is just a screen shot. It requires you to download the program from the SCT website and then the place from which you purchased your tuner will send you your files. From there you can open them so to speak and modify the values.

Lee S.

1.) Yes, if you had a problem with your tuning or even if the company you purchased it from wanted to send you another file they could using email and you would then simply upload it to your tuner. This will make tuning alot simplier especially if you have a custom setup.

2.) Only the blue Micro Tuner has the ability to read and clear trouble codes. The X-calibrator does not.

3.) The major differences between the two....

The Micro Tuner will retrieve and clear trouble codes, it has a LCD display screen that walks you through the flash process and has a key pad for selections.

The X-calibrator is a small black box, it has buttons you press to choose which program you'd like to use and it has no screen. It doesn't have the ability to retrieve codes because it doesn't have anyway to display them. The main reason they went to them though is the X-calibrator will work with the new CAN computers, like those found in the 02-up four door Explorer's, 04up F150's and 05 Mustangs.

Now for pricing from me, the X-calibrator is $375 and comes with the programming cable for use with the Quick Tune software.

The Micro Tuner is $399 and for the programming cable for it is an extra $50. I don't make the pricing I just have to follow it, I can include the cable with the price of the X-calibrator but not the Micro Tuner.

The Micro Tuner was something that SCT started with that is actually a Superchips based hardware. For a while they had to stop selling them and went totally with the X-calibrator, in October. The reason was they couldn't get them from Superchips. In late Novemeber they got some more in and have started selling them again but there is no real guaruntee that they will be able to continue getting them.

SCT is coming out with it's own version of the Micro Tuner soon with a LCD screen and the ability to retrieve trouble codes, they say sometime in early 05'.

spindlecone

Everything that the software allows.

Axle Ratio
Tire Size
Idle / Part Throttle / Full Throttle Air / Fuel Ratio
Engine Timing
Engine Idle
Automatic Transmission Shift Schedules & Firmness
Rev & Speed Limters .

Now, you could do this and go drive it for the timing adjustments and listen for detonation or maybe monitor your engine using some diagnostic software, watch your knock sensor values and see if they are being used. Also it doesn't allow for a huge increase in timing values, on a value file CTD0 it only allows for a 2 degree increase but for a -5 degree retard.

You could adjust the shift firmness and rpm's and test it until you like it under different conditions.

Now for the wideband stuff, I wouldn't wanna mess with the a/f adjustments too much without some readings but the software does have it's limits too. You would probably feel the poor performance before you did any damage but like I said I wouldn't wanna mess with it without.

Now on the plus side, if you were on a dyno and found your a/f ratio too rich/lean at any throttle position you could adjust it right there, no need for sending it in or anything like that. Of course you would have to have the software on a computer. My local dyno has already downloaded the program for my local customers and this allows them to adjust it there.

huskyfan23

No unfortunatly not. The reason being is that the EEC4 processor cannot be reprogrammed so neither tuner would work on it. Sorry!

Feel free to ask anything you like about this software, I have two guys using it now and they haven't really adjusted much from my performance programs they do like the ability to change the tire/gear size values on demand.

Thanks, Doug904.

Doug
What can the user do with this software in ones own garage?you talk about feeling things, listening for detonation, and then making corrections, this IMO is not a good way to tune an engine without being hooked up to diagnostic machines.
Granted, tire size changes to correct speedo and odo corrections, rev and speed limiters may be easy to do.
All the rest, Idle, PT,FT and A/F, shift scheduals etc, cannot be done IMO at home.
Am in no way being pissy Doug, all I'm asking is:what can be done with the software, by the buyer, and what needs to be done on a Dyno with advanced diagnostics.

spindlecone said:
Doug
What can the user do with this software in ones own garage?you talk about feeling things, listening for detonation, and then making corrections, this IMO is not a good way to tune an engine without being hooked up to diagnostic machines.
Granted, tire size changes to correct speedo and odo corrections, rev and speed limiters may be easy to do.
All the rest, Idle, PT,FT and A/F, shift scheduals etc, cannot be done IMO at home.
Am in no way being pissy Doug, all I'm asking is:what can be done with the software, by the buyer, and what needs to be done on a Dyno with advanced diagnostics.

Ahh I see,

I totally agree with the a/f adjustments, and you must remember who this software was actually designed for. Mustang and other high performance Ford's. Not your daily driver Explorer/Ranger. I can burn the same two performance programs in a supercharged Cobra and depending on the mods one can be dead on and the other go rich so this allows the user to make any small mods that they need to get every last bit of power from their vehicle.

The only adjustments that I would do without having a wideband O2 sensor would be tire/gear size changes, idle speed, and speed and rev limiters.

Also the shift pressures can be played with, they will only add 10psi or subtract 5 psi using this software so this can mean the difference between a very firm shift or a soft shift.

For example on Bryan's Explorer his shift pressures were increased about 10 psi more then I would have done them. So I reduced them 2-5 psi under different load conditions and this made them alot easier to live with. This can really only be tested in the real world under different driving conditions.

Also remember, with this you can get in touch with your company you bought the tuner from and they can modify a program even more if you need be and simply email it to you instead of you having to return your tuner to them. Or you could even try another companies tuning if they'd allow.

I love talking 4.0 Peformance and SCT tuning in general so please dont think I'm getting upset I'm just trying to explain it in general terms.

Thanks, Doug. :)

I'm really interested in one of these, but where do we order? I dont see it on bamachips.com but i could be blind :)

Just shoot me an email at Bamachips@charter.net and I'll give you all the info from there.

You actually have two choices, you can go with the Micro Tuner for $399 and the cable for an extra $50 making for a total of $449 OR you can get the X-calibrator for $375 and it will include the programming cable. The main difference is the X-calibrator doesn't retrieve trouble codes so your really paying the extra for that function.

Either one of them will hold the same programming, there isn't any performance difference between the two.

Thanks, Doug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doug...One more question on the Micro Tuner (which IMO is really the better way to go because of it's trouble code reading ability):

Can the micro tuner read trouble codes from other OBDII vehicles or only the vehicle it was purchased/programmed for? For example could I use a micro tuner purchased for my X to read trouble codes on my neighbor's OBDII X?

I realize it's designed so you can't pass tunes around from one vehicle to another, but what about it's code reading functions?...it would be very cool if it allows you to do this....

Lee

Back