New Vehicle - Black Paint Care | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Vehicle - Black Paint Care

Since the Sport Trac is new, I have been trying to figure ways to take care of the black. I have read a handful of posts here (using 'Search'!) and it seems that most problems with a finish arise from improper care followed by years of trying to make up for it...

So, here's the process I want to do:

Get 2 buckets - one with Dawn soap and one with clean water.

Wash the vehicle, cleaning the mitt in the water to minimalize particle scratching when washing.

Dry the vehicle with 100% cotton terry towels, blotting and not rubbing.

Clay bar the Sport Trac in straight line motions, not circular, while properly lubricating the clay bar.

Wash with Dawn again, dry the same way.

Apply Z-1 in circular motion, then go up and down over same areas.

Apply Z-5, let haze for an hour or two. Wipe off. Spray with Z-6 Spray and wipe. Use Z-2. Let haze for hour or two. Wipe off. Spray with Z-6 Spray and wipe.

Repeat above process 2 more times, but finish with Z-2 (neglect final Z-6 Spray and wipe).

---

I did read about ZFX - basically if I use ZFX, I can skip Z-1 and go right to Z-5 after the clay bar and rewash. I assume ZFX is easier, and in a 24 hour period I can do the prep and then with ZFX -- Z-5, Z-2, Z-5. Then, the next day -- Z-2, Z-5, Z-2. All while detail spraying in between, but finishing with Z-2.

---

How does this process seem to you? I don't know much about Klasse products - is there any advantage to using Klasse over Zaino? Should I finish with a coat of Klasse for shine?

This is an all-new process to me (gone are the days of waxing with whatever was handy in my garage...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice tips.. I just need to get my hood repainted.. Paint is starting to peal and orange peel.

black paint

Just remember to use wax that sheets the water instead od beadding. It makes a world of difference

Coupla things:

Autopia is required reading :D

Forget the Dawn. I know that Zaino recommends it, but that is mostly to help remove old wax already on the vehicle. Your new car shouldn't have any; whatever junk the dealer put on there during the "prep" should be removed easily with the clay. Dawn is just too harsh to use on paint. Meguiar's Gold Class is a good wash that can be picked up locally. If you go the Zaino route, the Z7 wash is fantastic. Einszett (1Z) also makes a great wash. Actually, that whole line is fantastic. You're definitely going to want to pick up some ****pit Premium for the interior.

Clay: Blue Clay Magic is one of the best clays out there. Should be easy to find at Auto Zone or Pep Boys (don't get the red - it's too harsh).

Forget the cotton towels. Microfiber is worlds better. Do a search on Autopia for some good towels. DF Towels, PakShak and Autopia towels are great. Get a Waffle Weave towel for drying.

Are you absolutley set on Zaino? For a black vehicle, a good carnuba like S100 is going to look incredible. It can be used as a topper for Klasse, but not Zaino as per Sal's advice (lots of discussion about this). Another option to consider is Meguiar's new NXT Generation Tech Wax that's set to come out 2/1/04. There's threads on Autopia with tons of info, pics, etc. Not that Zaino is bad (it isn't at all), but for black, its reflective properties just don't look as good as it does on, say, silver. Black really needs that glossy, wet look that Zaino just doesn't have, IMHO.

Anyway, check out Autopia, especially the NXT Generation Tech Wax and see what you think.

Mike

Edit: Here's a thread about the NXT Generation Tech Wax.

dawn is bad, it will strip the wax off the paint.... and htere really shouldnt be any to begin with....

I honestly don't use towels. I use my leaf blower. It gets out all the water from around the side mirror/door area that creates those evil streaks.:fire:

Plan sounds pretty good. But Dawn is seriuosly not required for your vehicle. Like what Mike said, clay will take almost all the crap dealer put on off. Use Dawn when you're thinking of stripping all the wax off and redo the exterior.

I prefer microfiber towels. PakShak offers excellent microfiber towels. If you're in a budget, you can always get the microfiber towels from Wally World or Costco, which I believe they're selling a pack of 12 for $8 @ Costco. For drying, I use the California Water Blade. It works very well at drying the truck, but a word of caution, always clean the edge off before swiping and during the swiping process or you'll see scratches all over the paint.

Here's a tip about washing a car, when rinsing, take the nozzle off and just let the water run onto the paint. This will create a sheeting action so you don't have to worry about using so much effort when drying a car and prevents water spottings.

I don't know much about Zaino since I'm a Klasse user, but Klasse is extremely easy to use and tricks are always needed to remove the SG (Sealant Gloss). Since I'm using Klasse, I only have a 2 step process instead of the multi-level steps with Zaino to achieve the same depth and durability.

Here's my process:

Wash with car soap
Clay as I wash
Rince car off
3M SMR with white pad with PC at 5
AIO with white pad with PC at 3 or 4
SG...wait about a day, then another coat, and another the next day
Topping off with S100

If you use AIO, that will take care of any wax that the dealer may have applied and the clay didn't remove. If you start layering SG, your paint will really be protected from the elements.

I'm a Zaino user and agree with your plan & the micro fiber recomendation. Useing ZFX (eliminating Z1) is the way to go. I've got a black Mounty & Cad. and find it hard to believe that any thing is gonna shine better &, most importantly for MI winters, last longer than Zaino.
That said, I am going to try the MEG NXT stuff. Meguiars has never put out bad products and it "sounds" better than Zaino. Only time will tell.

I have my doubts about the NXT, it looks like a consumer product to me.

Originally posted by Hartman
I have my doubts about the NXT, it looks like a consumer product to me.

Well, you know, technically S100 is a consumer product as well, and it is an incredible wax. I wouldn't write off NXT just because you're going to be able to pick it up at Auto Zone. Time will tell how good it ends up being.

Mike

I ordered my Zaino kit last week.

What exactaly is a micro-fiber towel ?

A towel made of micro-fibers. :D It creates less friction against the paint surfaces than terry cloth towels do, so that they don't scratch the paint.

An Updated Process

Thanks guys - I would thank you individually but it'd take a while... :) Seriously, guys, thanks...

New process (based on your suggestions):

- Wash with Z-7 and clay bar while washing.

- Rinse with Mr. Clean No Spot (or should I just use the hose?)

- Leaf blower dry.

- Dry any wet spots with microfiber towels.

- With ZFX: Z-5, Z-2, Z-5

NEXT DAY

- Z-2, Z-5, Z-2

Since the interior is all rubber (as in the floors - except mats), I will just scrub any dirt and steam the mats (we have a small carpet steamer).

Wheel dressing (flat black, not glossy).

Clean dash and leather (what's a good leather and dash cleaner/conditioner - I am not a fan of Armorall...)

For those who mentioned that Zaino doesn't shine like some others, I am more concerned with protection than shine. I like the wet look, but I will also take a clean black look (I assume that Zaino will shine nicely, perhaps just not as much as others may). :) The winters in PA are like those in Michigan - I am more concerned with protection than shine.

Let me know what you all think of this 'to-do' list...

Oh yes, and the shopping list:

- Zaino ZFX
- Z-2
- Z-5
- Z-6
- Z-7
- Autopia Towels (waffle weave)

Thanks everyone!

Go to www.pakshak.com and ask him how much of a discount you het for being an Autopia member.
Get a waffelweave and some(3) regular MF towles 24X24. Also check out WalMart for MF towles.
I would just put a couple of coats of Z5 on and see how the finish looks. If you like it then do the Z2 for a couple of times useing the detail spray Z6? between ea coat.

Bill: So doing the Z5-Z2 alternation isn't that necessary?

The general consensus is to end with Z2, so I would do Z5-Z5-Z2 w/ZFX. As for the interior, I really, really like the Einszett line. They have a product called ****pit Premium which is great for plastic and vinyl. They also have a leather conditioner which is excellent. The ****pit Premium can also be used to clean the leather.

Oh, and Zaino will be great for those Michigan winters. I used it when I lived in Ann Arbor, and it protected against the salt really well. Lasted all winter too (waaaay too cold to even think about putting on more coats). Here's what it looked like right before I sold it at 156,000 miles. That's Zaino on there.

Front4.jpg

Mike

Very very nice outcome. Alrighty then, I'll attempt to give it a wax this weekend, weather permitting. If it's too cold, I'll have to wait for the next nice weekend...

Again, all, thank you got the pointers.

That is way to much of a process i am forever at my friends detailing shop and letting them do it lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HotCt,

It absolutely is. I figure I'll do the huge process once every 3-6 months and just wash and reapply Z-5 and Z-2 the rest of the time. I suppose once the hard stuff is out of the way, the rest of the time is just like any normal waxing of a vehicle. I hope... :D

Back