New Wheels and tires - Narrowing up the stance | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels and tires - Narrowing up the stance

Hey guys. Since I finally finished my Superlift after what feels like 14 years, I'm ready for some new wheels and tires.

What I've wanted to do for a while is narrow the stance and bring the tires in tighter to the fenders. I've grown a bit weary of the sloppy look of the tires 2 inches or so outside of the fender wells, so the goal is to "pull" them in even with the body. You can see like 900 pictures below of how it currently sits.

My question is what is the best way to go about this? I'm currently running 12.50 wide Goodyear Wranglers at what I believe it 3.75" backspacing, and planning to move to 11.50 wide tires with 4" BS.

Do you think this will accomplish what I'm shooting for? Appreciate any thoughts / input.

Thanks...

IMG_4888_zpskmwrisv6.jpg

IMG_4890_zpsgz2bul0k.jpg

IMG_4891_zpso88yzgrv.jpg

IMG_4892_zpsyerxexru.jpg

IMG_4889_zpsigvqwexn.jpg

You could always install fender flares to match the body to the tires.

Going to be a hell of a lot cheaper than new tires/wheels.

Your planned change in BS is only a quarter inch, so unless you're also changing from an 8" rim to 7", or from 10" to 8", the BS change won't really do anything worthwhile, even with the 1" narrower tire.
I agree with the flare option.

Thanks guys, but no interest in going wider with flares at ALL. The goal is to keep it clean and narrow it up.

Could I go 4.25 BS on a 7'' rim? My plan was to keep the rim width the same and just go narrower on the tire (12.50 to 11.50). Any major drawbacks to a 7'' rim (if I could even find one out there...)?

Alright, so I'm ready to pull the trigger here. Would the following combo work? It may not pull the tires in as much as I'd like, but I just wanna make sure the tires will fit the rims before I order:

16x8 wheels, 285-75-R16 tires. I think it's fine but can't hurt to double check.

Back