• Register Today It's free!

new with lots of ?.

Mrpeckerwood

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer
hello,im mark from Tn,i just bought a 03 explorer and a 02 explorer xlt 4-wd both with the 4.0 engine.the 02 was being driven 2 weeks ago,the guy said the oil pressure started dropping and it finally just quit,seems his oil descending unit plug started leaking and leaked out all the oil,he was near his exit and kept driving until it siezed up,thats how i got it for $800,i havent been doing any mechanic like work in about 15 years so i need a lot of help.the 03 was running hot but it still drives and seems to have plenty of power.i dont have a title with it so i got it for $450.my plan is to take 03 engine put in the 02.i guess if the engine seizing like that ruins the block but wat about the heads?i want to put the heads on the 02 on the 03 coz of the overheating thing,but first is there a checklist of what to do to pull the engines?look foward to learning how to get thru this on my own and with the help of this forum,this is the only way i can afford to get a nice ride haha,so thanks ahead of time for everyone that will be giving me advice etc.

You will find the most help for your specific vehicle in our 2002-2005 subforum:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

If the engine lost oil pressure and ran until it seized the valve stems and valve guides may have damage, so the heads may not be any good without a rebuild.

Back