new Zimmerman mod ?'s

zensius

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4 dr. EB
So I've been thinking of doing the Zimmerman mod on my 4 door for over a year now. I've got the Ranger springs sitting in my side yard. But I'm just plain nervous about cutting the spring eyes off my stock springs. 'Cause if I don't like the way the springs are with the mod I can't go back without buying a whole new pair of spring packs. So I was thinking...Would it be possible to run the single Ranger leaf on top of my existing pack as normal but NOT cut the eyes off my stock top leaf? I know it would look funny and for serious wheeling the clearance would be an issue. But It would give me a chance to see if the mod is worth it. Would it not? Any thoughts? I've noticed there hasn't been much talk of this mod around here recently. Has it gone by way of the electric supercharger/hairdryer?;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is an excellent and cheap mod.

Just cut it, you dont want to do the work twice anyways.........

It has been tried and proven by many people. You wont want to go back.......

Your other option is to get s set of stock springs for cheap (used) just in case...

But once you bolt in the new springs with the Ranger main you would be happy.......

I say go for it.......

I would talk to id50, he has had problems with that same mod.

X-1 this may seem real odd. But I can't find id50 on the site. His name doesn't show up in the member list and I couldn't find anything with search. I say it's odd 'cause I remember someone named id50 too.

Nevermind, I fugired it out. L not I. Silly me.

Sorry, I couldn't remember at the time wether it was i, or l. Any way I remember reading where he either bent one, or broke one, Ii think early last year.

I think it LD50....not I d

So zensius, you gonna do the mod???

Yeah, I'm gonna do it without cutting the original spring. It might look f***ing weird but I hope it will give me an idea if it's good for me. I need to actually take the truck apart to see if my no cut idea will work. Maybe this weekend. We'll see. I don't see much wheeling in the near future so I might wait. Plus I've got a rear locker on the way thanks to GJarret that I've got to put in.

You should got to your local parts store (autozone?) and pick up some of those cheap lift shackles ($20). They come with 3 adjustment holes on them. That way, if you decided to leave the eye on, you can run a bolt through they eyes on both springs so they dont bang around against one another.

-Justin

PS - I have the cheap-o shackles and they seem to be holding up pretty damn well.

Dead Link Removed

If I actually connect the Ex leafs back up the Ranger ones won't be doing anything. If I hook them both up then I'll have halved my flex. The whole point of this mod is to increase the flex. That's why a thinner (ranger) main leaf is added.

I totally understand what you're saying, but the spring tension would still be the same. Aren't you afraid of the ride quality, or I must've just assumed that? Anyway, just trying to keep ya safe man.

-Justin

The ranger springs are not that much longer which will put the spring eyes together, don't it will work that way, plus will cause your explorer leaf to bow down.

Back