Newbie 1994 XLT 4.0 liter engine noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie 1994 XLT 4.0 liter engine noise.

kabute

Reaction score
City, State
Thomasburg Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi!I have a 1994 Ford Explorer with the 4 liter V-6.At Highway speeds I am noticing a rattle to the engine when I accelerate.The engine does not do it if I sit still and rev the engine up or if i am driving around town.Just on the highway at highway speeds.
Thanks Ron!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like the engine is pinging. Mine used to do the same thing, usually going up a hill on the highway. It could be caused by a number of things including a vacuum leak, carbon buildup, oil/coolant leaking into the cylinder etc. Do a search for pinging for more information.

welcome ron

Mine does the same thing, but if I gradually get up to speed I don't really hear that rattle. If I floor it, then I hear it. I am in denial I guess that it might be the timing chain tensioner because I am terrified of the cost to fix it. So I just get up to highway speed gradually and baby it. Then I hope for the best!

is the sound coming from under the hood? If it's not, it could be a loose heat shield on the exhaust....mine rattles like crazy when the engine is lugging and it's the exhaust pipe just barely hitting a heat shield.

Well one thing you can do is put a can of BG 44k in the tank fill up with super 91 or 93 octane and run it down the interstate for about 5 miles each way,that will clean out the carbon and at least eliminate that possible cause.That stuff is awesome,I recommend it always.

Back