!NEWBIE! 1996 XL 4.0 OHV to mate with a 1999 XLT 5.0 AWD. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

!NEWBIE! 1996 XL 4.0 OHV to mate with a 1999 XLT 5.0 AWD.

96EXPXL

Reaction score
City, State
Southeastern MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XL 4X4
Just joined this forum and I am hoping to find some info in regards to my Frankenstein swap.
I picked up a 1996 Explorer XL 4.0L OHV for $700, very clean with some minor front entd damage. The front end has been repaired but after dring it for a while it started to emit white smoke from the exhaust on cold start. I suspect a cracked cylinder head as the #3 spark plugs is always getting contaminated and it also has a misfire on start-up. The tranfer case also needs a wheel speed sensor.
Anyways, instead of messing with that old tired 4.0L SOHC (a new cylinder head is $1,000) I decided to find a V8 donor for a swap.
I found a 1999 XLT that was hit by a semi and suprisingly the only part that i need that was damaged is the nipple on the power steering reserviour.
So I am looking to see if anyone has made a thread on this type of swap or similar.
I know there are a couple of differences
-the rear axle has ladders bars and a pinion shock
-the 1999 V8 has PATS
-I will be needing some customer exhaust, not necessary to leave the converters on in MI, YES!
-I would also like to eliminate EVAP and EGR but I am not 100% sure
-I am also looking to find some information on an aftermarket tuner, I like the twEECer and was hoping to find some input with others
-I am sure there will be more.....

The rear axle out of the explorer is destined for a swap into my 2001 Ranger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd swap EVERYTHING from the old one. It will be the simplest way to do it.

You have the 4.0 OHV, company makes remanufactured/upgraded heads (Alabama something or other) for rather cheap and a used OHV engine should be easy to find as they were put into a large number of vehicles.

Welcome to the forum. The subject has been discussed and accomplished, search the site for answers.

Also, read the rules before posting. You need to be an elite member to sell items here. I edited your post for you.

You will also want to add Torquemonster headers, non others will fit.

A good air intake, and tuning will top it all off for you.

I do understand wanting to attempt tuning yourself, however I recommend James , our resident tuner-vendor. I bet he will save you $$ and time.

www.hensonperformance.com

welcome

69 tri y headers will work with some mods work not much ,put cat on and new exhaust just make sure you put the oxygen sensors in the right place

Back