Newbie - 2018 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie - 2018 sport

Jason80919

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, sport, explorer
Does the sync3 have subscription costs associated with it? We just picked up a new 2018 Sport and love the Sync3 But curious about if parts of it are on a trial period etc. I know that XM is only a 6mth deal, but we won't use after 6 months anyway so no loss. But we do like the Nav.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not heard of any parts of the basic Sync 3 being on a subscription basis with the exception of Sirius/XM like you mentioned.

Peter

Sync is the radio entertainment system. There are no additional cost other then Sirus/XM or if you have Sirus Traffic after a few years. Nav is free and based off the GPS' satellites in space just like a Garmin GPS.

+2 SYNC3 is the operating system. The Sirius Audio and Travel Link is the subscription. 6 mo. FREE audio and five year Travel Link. Here is the quirk on travel Link. The five years starts from initial in service date as in delivery date to the first owner. The five year clock still keeps ticking during trade. Example Aug2018 + five years is August 2023. If vehicle is traded in, lets say August 2020 and vehicle sits on dealers lot awaiting sale for four months. That four months counts, but the bonus is the 2nd owner will have the remainder of the five years.

Not sure about yours but mine also has a 3 month AT&T data plan. It is then $20 per month. I think this is just for the internet radio, mobile apps stuff and for the wifi hotspot. I find it a little strange that my truck has it's own phone number but I guess they have to hook it up somehow. I can't imagine it being required for the nav stuff as I think the wifi is an option and is not actually required for the sync3 shtuff.

WiFi is not required for the Nav. I forgot about the 18’s having WiFi so the also would be a separate cost. The hot spot is more like a cell phone haveing a data plan and allowing other devices to use it to get WiFi.

Back