shadetree47

Reaction score
City, State
coushatta, louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 3.0 2WD a/t
Help!! 4r44e Has Lost Its Mind!

hi everyone!
this issue is probably covered somewhere in the multitude of forums before me so if someone can direct me to the proper thread i would be eternally grateful.

i have a '97 ranger with the 3.0L and 4r44e tranny. the 4r44e died and i bought a rebuilt 4r44e from phoenix remanufactured transmissions(any info on them or their credibility?). i immediately noticed the rebuilt tranny had a sensor near the end of the housing that mine did not have. i believe this is the output shaft speed sensor. well, my harness has no connector for this sensor. after installation during obd2 drive cycle the tranny seemed to shift 5 times. if this is in fact a 4r tranny, then it cannot shift 5 times. correct? also, during coastdown there is a noticeable clunk 3-5 seconds before the vehicle stops.

can the info from this sensor that i have no harness connector for cause these problems/symptoms?
should i get the proper harness and reprogram the pcm?

the clunk during coastdown really bothers me as the jackholes that sold me the tranny have not responded to any messages that i have left the "technical department" for almost 3 weeks now. i would very much like to resolve these issues 'cause it ain't lookin' good for customer support from phoenix remanufactured transmissions:help: :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Later 4R55's and 5R55's had a sensor added. Your vehicle was not deigned to use the sensor and you can leave it alone and life will be just fine.

Often times people confuse a torque convertor lockup, if it is firm, with a shift.

Klunk as you describe it is more difficult to diagnose from afar, though drivetrain and U joint issues come to mind as big possibles...more difficult to attribute it to the trans.

And Phoenix does have a excellent reputation as a good rebuilder... I am surprised they have not been responsive to you.

When you said that you contacted them, did you try calling them or sending emails? The 97 5R44E/5R55E has that extra sensor. You might have the 5R44E since you have a 97. The 95 - 96 have the 4R44E. Check your sticker on the vehicle's driver's side pillar to verify the code. I get that occasional clunk on my 4 speed A4LD which is probably the TCC cycling. This link is in # 7 in my list of useful threads: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showpost.php?p=1743961&postcount=6. Did you flush the front cooler prior to installing the rebuilt transmission?

Thank you for your responses. Sorry for the delay in response to your questions but I am at work right now and got pretty busy.

Glacier991- Thanks for the info. I have done all my own engine work for about 10 years but this is my first tranny experience so that "extra shift" may be torque converter lockup as I don't have enough tranny experience to "feel" the difference between the two.
My first instinct on the clunk during coastdown was u-joint. The drive shaft did sit in the back of the truck in a field for a year. Will probably replace when I can.

BrooklynBay- Thanks for the response and the link.
I contacted Phoenix by phone and left voice mails to a guy named Gabriel in the Technical Department about 6 times. No response.
When you say check my sticker to verify my code are you refering to the digit in the VIN# applicable to transmission identification or the tag on the transmission itself.
The clunk I get isn't occasional, it's EVERY time I come to a stop. Does Tcc cycling cause the vehicle to kinda lurch forward and drop speed? Kinda feels like engine braking.
The link you gave was good info. The ODS sensor is towards the converter housing according to my manual. It is not even there on the rebuilt tranny. The sensor I'm speaking of is towards the extension housing and called the OSS(output shaft speed) sensor in the manual.
As for the front cooler, I'm ashamed to say, I did not flush it. Could this ruin the whole process of resurrecting this truck as well as the rebuilt tranny?:(
BTW, the manual I am referring to is the Ford factory service manual on 1997 Aerostar & Ranger(about 2000 pages worth). I only use AutoZone manuals to start fires with:D

While you're back near the rear axle checking the driveshaft's U-joint, also check the pinion flange on the differential. A clunk during coasting could be a ring/pinion problem. I know its a shot in the dark but checking the pinion takes 30 seconds so if there's no play, then that's one possibility you can be 100% sure you can cross off the list.

Thanks IZWAC. Rear ends are also new to me but I will check what your referring to at the next opportunity. My brother is driving the truck as he has no ride and our schedules do not cooincide so I may not get to it until Saturday but after that I'm on vacation:cool: and can give him my car and tinker with the truck. It's not gonna blow up by Saturday is it? It's only 19 miles from our house to work.

Back