Newbie Audio Installation Questions - 95 EX Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Audio Installation Questions - 95 EX Sport

m4dioses

Reaction score
Little bit of information;

It's my girlfriends 95 EX, but it's hands down my favorite toy as far as any vehicle goes. It's a lot of fun to work on and very easy to improve. When She got the truck, the radio bezel was all smashed and cracked (whoever removed it the first time, didn't unscrew the screws...) so I bought a 98 Mountaineer Bezel and replaced it with that. Before I did that, I installed a new radio.. so I've never actually removed the Radio Bezel, just put it in. The EX has an amp installed, but it's installed poorly. (RCA's running down the same side as the BAT+, low quality wiring (Scorsche, Wal-Mart brand.. 14GA for a 600W amp..) So I plan on installing a KnuKonceptz wiring system and installing a new amp and sub. Anyways.. my questions!

First off, what's the safest way to remove the radio bezel without breaking the clips?

I know about the two screws right above the heater controls, etc.. but after that what's the safest way to remove it without damaging anything?

Second, it's 2DR, anyone have any suggestions on where to ground the amp in the very back? I need a solid ground, as I've tried a few places but they're loose and cause the amp to cut out and distort frequently, so I'm going to assume they're terrible grounds.

Third, What's the cleanest way to run the BAT+ line? Right now, there's one running through a hole behind the hood hinge. I'm going to be re-running all of the lines and replacing them with newer, higher quality lines when I replace the amp.. was wondering if there was a better or cleaner spot to run the BAT+ line.

Lastly, how do I access the door speakers? Is it easy or a pain in the ass? I noticed the two in the back seat all I have to do is remove the grill. I'm going to assume the front door requires taking the whole panel off, as the grills don't budge and have no clips.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well first off you should goto www.mecp.com order the basic installer study guide study test knowlege is power you will be amazed how much itl teach you second you want a chasis ground for your amp as in pull some carpet up find a non paintd area sometimes you need to remove the paint keep it neat sloppy installs are embarrising an no one wants to see them. as well door panels are real simple you usually have a few screws located around door lever an handel possibl up in the upper corner by the side miror control lookm around next check the side of the pannel (part that sits next to door jam) look for screws if none probaly held in by clips you can buy a pannel puller from local auto parts store you need to work it out the clips are generally small pastic studs that expand once in their home so generally i start out side corner get it popd out a lil an get a light an look an see where they are all located it a process of trial an error learning haha an youre dash bezel screws an clips these are generally made the same way but metal just look dont get impaitent and dont force it itl eventually work its way off :salute:

i apologize i over lookd the power lead you wanna run it through the firewall the way you speak of is A NO NO haha dont do it pull youre carpet back an look for a sertaed circle that can be punchd out if ya dont see one look under the hood for a little place to drill a hole then you need to get a gromit is a rubber seal to keep dirt an water out get it from youre local stereo shop tell them what youre doin theyll hook ya up an dont over look the gromit cause 1 ure car will leak 2 the sides of that hole will cut into the wire an cause a huge friggn mess for ya sounds like a lotta work but well worth the effort !!!

I wasn't really looking for instructions as much as I was tips. I'm sure the MECP guide would teach me things I don't know, but I'm not looking to spend $60 to obtain a few tidbits of information, that's what forums are for!

I do appreciate your help.

I re-ran the wires, using a knuknoceptz amp kit. I wired in a fosgate punch w/ a profile 1000ap. More than enough for her, she doesn't need a whole lot of bass.. Just something more than panel speakers can offer.

As far as taking the door off, haven't looked into it yet.. will do soon.

I drilled a hole in the firewall and just used a rubber grommet, I was asking if there was other places to run the wire.. i.e: on a cavalier you can run it through the cable for the hood release.

The hood release cable on the explorer made for a tight fit and I worried about the cable chafing. Eitherway the install is done and clean, looks pretty and bumps enough for a $250 amp/box/sub setup.

yeah i would just run ity by its self forcing it in places that already have iteams there can cause feed back but id go with the first avail option !!

Back