Newbie Could Use Any Help At All PLEASE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Could Use Any Help At All PLEASE

Gayle90

Reaction score
City, State
Greensburg, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Limited
Ok so I am the proud new owner (My first one ever) 1996 Ford Explorer Limited AWD, 5.0, 4 door, that's in great shape and only has 85K original miles. :D:D:D This is my first post here and im new to when it comes to suspension, lift kits, ect, ect, ect. Im not going to be doing any off roading but I would like to give it a 2 inch body lift (I would just like it a bit higher). I've read through pages on how to do a body lift. But when im reading them its like rocket science idk what all these abbreviations are or mean that people are using. I've looked and cant find a body lift kit anywhere and somewhere on here they said to use a kit from a 96 ranger but all I can find is 3" lifts and not 2". I heard that if you only go to 2" that you don't have to extend your steering. Which im on a tight budget. So would anybody be so kind to point me in the right direction here on how to achieve my body lift and where I could find the parts, and if someone is really really nice explain to me on how to do it like body lift kit for dummies. Cause I don't have no clue. Thank you in advance for reading this and for you replies. Have a good day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know at the top of the main page for the 95-01 forum there is a sticky/write up on the whole thing. You have to use the ranger one that is true. Don't let that confuse you it goes on just the same. If there is an abbreviation that confuses you just google it. I haven't done the body lift yet but from what I have read I think it comes with the steering extender

performance accessories 883 is the kit your looking for.

dude I just read the beginning of the sticky over again and the guy who did the guide even tells what his abbreviations mean.

Not that I'm an expert on Explorer lift kits, but if it was me I'd steer clear of a body lift. The parts are inexpensive, but they take hours and hours of effort....and all they do is allow you to mount bigger tires (they don't really "lift" your truck at all).

I was looking at a 4" superlift kit before I ended up buying a 2 door, and while that thing was pricey ($2k) it looks like it would actually give you some additional off-road ability.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've never liked body lifts.

You know at the top of the main page for the 95-01 forum there is a sticky/write up on the whole thing. You have to use the ranger one that is true. Don't let that confuse you it goes on just the same. If there is an abbreviation that confuses you just google it. I haven't done the body lift yet but from what I have read I think it comes with the steering extender

performance accessories 883 is the kit your looking for.

dude I just read the beginning of the sticky over again and the guy who did the guide even tells what his abbreviations mean.

For a 1996 you need the 853 kit.

Not that I'm an expert on Explorer lift kits, but if it was me I'd steer clear of a body lift. The parts are inexpensive, but they take hours and hours of effort....and all they do is allow you to mount bigger tires (they don't really "lift" your truck at all).

I was looking at a 4" superlift kit before I ended up buying a 2 door, and while that thing was pricey ($2k) it looks like it would actually give you some additional off-road ability.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I've never liked body lifts.

I am no fan of body lifts either but because my explorer is 2wd I am going to make it more of a desert runner with long travel suspension and I need a lil body lift so I can get some more up travel out of the suspension without the pumpkin hitting the body. I think I might order the kit and take some measurements and have the fab shop that is doing my longtravel make me some billet body lift blocks that match the performance accessories one's.

For a 1996 you need the 853 kit.

Do the second gen explorers use different body mounts through out the years. Wouldn't the kit that fits the explorers fit all the second gen's.

Do the second gen explorers use different body mounts through out the years. Wouldn't the kit that fits the explorers fit all the second gen's.

The steering shaft connector changed in 1998. So the 853 is required for '95-'97 and the 883 is required for '98-'02.

Back