• Register Today It's free!

Newbie could use some easy help!

bucho_ky

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 5.0L
First things first, I'm working on a 97 Explorer V8 AWD with ABS that has been parked for the last 6 months.

As I was replacing the last of the 4 rotors (rear driver side) the unthinkable happened....I sheered off a lug. I'm a complete newbie at brakes and am having trouble getting the drum/shoes apart to hammer in a new lug from the back. Was able to remove the 2 springs and adjustment screw, but now what?? Even after a can of brake cleaner things are so rusted and jammed from being parked for so long that I cannot tell what should come out next so that I can get to the backside of this thing.

I might be a little over my head, as I have no idea how to adjust the tension on the shoes, etc....worst case scenario, do you think it would be safe to put things mostly back together and drive very slowly to a garage about 3 miles away with 1 lug nut out?

Thanks for any help!
Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome greg

Do you have a Chiltons or Haynes manual? If not, that should be your next step. There are detailed instructions in there on how to replace and adjust brakes. As for your stud, as my wife keeps telling me, they can be extremely rusty and stubborn:)

Blueraven

Yes, forgot to mention that I have a Haynes but the illustrations are completely different than what I have on my model, so not much help.....

Thanks Firepop, sounds exactly like what I need but one problem...no pictures show up! Do the thumbnails still show up for you in that post? I have checked browser and forum settings......

Keep on scrolling down when your'e on that link. The pictures are near the bottom of the page

Back