Newbie Exhaust Question: weld vs clamp? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Exhaust Question: weld vs clamp?

54blowup

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Hi all,
First let me apologize if this has already been discussed. Long story short I have minimal automotive experience and recently received my first truck (I am a highschool junior) which is a 2000 Ford Explorer. I am first looking to upgrade my muffler then hoping to make further upgrades to the rest of the exhaust system Since I have no personal exhaust experience I want to attempt to replace the muffler myself so to have a learning experience. Worst case scenario I can take the truck to a local exhaust shop. From reading threads here and on other sites I feel somewhat confident in replacing the muffler myself. Since I do not have access to a welder I figured I would use band clamps to install the new muffler. I will be diligent in looking for leaks but are there any other downsides to not welding on the muffler? Performance isn't a huge concern for me, and I would like a deeper sound but as I said I want to replace the muffler myself for the learning experience. I figured I would go with clamps for now and once I am sold on a muffler I would take it to a shop and get it welded. Thank you for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please forgive me as I just found an older thread discussing this issue for a Gibson cat back exhaust (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204371). Duh! Of course it is in reference to a cat back exhaust kit, but I'm assuming the advice would be similar just for a muffler? Even though as of right now the rest of the system is stock. Does anyone have anything to add on too of what was said in that other thread? Sorry for the double post!

I used 2½" Torca TorcTite EasySeal stainless steel band clamps for installation of my Gibson catback. The band clamps were used to make possible future removal easier. No leaks AFAIK. I figured any leaks would fill themselves with dirt, soot, etc.

0522001514a.jpg

Its a coin toss. There's no right or wrong way. It will most likely be decided by your wallet.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. A high school junior and already moddin' his Ex.

(These things are like crack. Bring an old Ex back to life and you're hooked forever)

Like Bobmbx said there is no right or wrong way.

But..
if you do weld it and you ever want to take it apart for any reason just get the Sawzall.

With clamps at least you have a good chance of getting it apart.

Its a coin toss. There's no right or wrong way. It will most likely be decided by your wallet.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. A high school junior and already moddin' his Ex.

(These things are like crack. Bring an old Ex back to life and you're hooked forever)

I can already feel the addiction comin on. Mine's a hand me down from my dad actually. Went to my first day of pre school in it & now I have to replace all the burned out window motors after all the years of playing with them. I guess that's karma:D

For those of you have chosen to weld yours on, have you experienced any "accelerated" rust/deterioration? I've heard this can be a concern but unsure of the severity. Guess it depends on how much of the elements your ex is exposed to.

I used 2½" Torca TorcTite EasySeal stainless steel band clamps for installation of my Gibson catback. The band clamps were used to make possible future removal easier. No leaks AFAIK. I figured any leaks would fill themselves with dirt, soot, etc.

0522001514a.jpg

Have you removed and replaced it yet? Looks like that thing will hold on forever if needed. Seem pretty fairly priced too

Never removed or replaced.

Torca TorcTite band clamps seemed to be one of the better brands that I ran across while searching for more info on band clamps. I scored mine on eBay for cheap, brand new in package. I got stainless ones since I did not to deal with rust issues from using plain steel ones.

Never removed or replaced.

Torca TorcTite band clamps seemed to be one of the better brands that I ran across while searching for more info on band clamps. I scored mine on eBay for cheap, brand new in package. I got stainless ones since I did not to deal with rust issues from using plain steel ones.

Thanks for the info, will definitely look into purchasing some

Unless you live somewhere that rust is an issue and those fasteners are frozen up tight.

Rusted or welded, you have to cut them off. In the end, its the same.

Back