Newbie from NY w/transmission problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie from NY w/transmission problems

doublebubble

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Hills, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Greetings to all! I'm a new member to this forum, who recently purchased a '96 Explorer, (Eddie Bauer edition) with 105,000 miles on it. My problem is that the transmission is slipping, and is not shifting gears. I put the car in drive and it doesn't catch so I drop it to low 2, and it catches and I put it back into drive. By the time it gets to 3rd gear its not catching. I am able to drive the car, but it's getting worse, and sometimes the overdrive light indicator flashes. Also, the check engine light just came on recently too.

I live in Queens, NY and would very much appreciate a recommendation to a honest and legit mechanic who can fix my transmission problems. Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! The first thing that you need to do is find out what the code numbers are. Keep in mind that an average transmission shop will try to talk you into a full rebuild even before they read the codes.

Thanks for the advice! I hate to sound so stupid, but how would I go about getting these code numbers? Is this something I can do myself, or would I need a mechanic to do it for me? Thanks again for the help, it is very appreciated.

Can anyone tell me where and how to find what the code numbers are?

We are neighbors, I live in middle village. A few months ago My 2002 Dodge work van had some transmission trouble.Other then basic service i know nothing about trans. I got a referral from a friend who said that Precision Transmissions were very reputable and did good work. Unfortunately I can not vouch for them as my van never made it there and I ended up donating it. (Actually using the xlt as a work truck now!) Hope it works out for you.

Precision Transmissions
9645 Calamus Ave

welcome aboard

Back