Newbie here and need help regarding engine and trans swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here and need help regarding engine and trans swap

George12

Reaction score
City, State
Tonganoxie Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 explorer 4.0l v6
I just got a 95 explorer 4.0 liter v6 4x4. The guy i got it from says it has an engine and transmission out of a 04. It runs great and is now a 4 speed but i want to know is there a way to find out for sure what year the engine and trans came out of? Also he mentioned that i need to replace a transmission sensor. It still has the 95 sensor and needs the 04 sensor. This cause the truck to have issues shifting from 1st to 2nd. I have to let my foot off the gas to get it to shift. after that it shifts great. Any idea what sensor he is talking about. He said it mounts to the rearend

Thanks for all your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm weird

He is most likely talking about the vehicles speed sensor, in 95 they were in the transmission or transfer case, 98+ they are in the rear axle only

The transmission range sensor is a whole different story.
the 95 truck only came with 1 engine option, the OHV 4.0L the 04 had two engine options the SOHC 4.0L V6 or the 4.6L V8, so if you indeed have an 04 SOHC drivetrain in your 95 truck it would take about 4 seconds for us to spot it with a simple under hood picture.

Is the check engine light on?

Also 95 = OBD-I
04 = OBD-II

This would be quite a conversion! many hours of work I hope hes not pullin your chain

weird is an understatement

None of the lights are on at all. I thought about the speed sensor and when I called a dealership they told me the 04 would not fit on a 95.

What do i need to look for to determine if I have the SOHC engine?

just go snap a pic of the engine bay and post it on here.

Ill try and get one soon. He also told me that a ford dealership did it. To be honest i think he may be pulling my leg but i hope not.

im not sure how to put pics up, can you tell me

get picture with digital camera, upload picture to computer, then upload picture to a free picture hosting site like photobucket... then post the link here.

Dealership would not TOUCH a drivetrain conversion, EVER = Hes a LIAR
Also you could not even just use a 04 engine in a 95 truck, the last year of the OHV 4.0L was 2001 (last year of the engine that would bolt in)

No dealership of any kind would be willing to do any custom drivetrain conversion for a customer, no way no how

here is the pic

here is the engine

DSCN0786.jpg

engine 2

DSCN0787.jpg

thats deff a 4.0 ohv motor. thats not a 2004 motor.

Ok i thought it might be the original. Can you tell me were on the engine the id numbers are located so I can see if it is the original engine. Also any ideas on the shifting issue i mentioned on the initial post.

Thanks

welcome

be careful before you condemn the guy...the engine never came OE in 2004, but it could very well have been replaced in 2004...as in the engine that's in it was bought in 2004 as a replacement engine and transmission.

Can you tell me where the Engine ID stamp is at so i can find out if it was the original equipment? Also if it is not the OE is there a way to tell anything about the engine.

Also cobragy you say that the engine never came OE in 2004. What do you mean?

Thanks

That engine is a 4.0 Overhead Valve Engine. (OHV) AKA a pushrod engine. That engine was not an option in 2004. Only the 4.0 Single Overhead Cam (SOHC--pronounced "sock") engine was offered as a 6 cylinder. A 4.6 V8 was also offered. So if you understood the seller to say this engine came from a 2004 Explorer, that is not possible. No 2004 Explorer had that engine. However, what I'm saying is he could have gone to a Ford dealer in 2004 and asked them to replace his engine and transmission. Even though those engines were not being installed in Explorers, they were still selling them (probably as remans) for replacement purposes. So he might consider the engine a 2004 model. That clear as mud??

Yes Clear as mud. Ok so where are the engine numbers stamped so i can see if it matches the VIN? Also any ideas on the shifting issue from 1s to 2nd?

I have no idea how to match that engine to the VIN. I'm not even sure it can be done.

ok thanks for the information.

Back